Giant Salmon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cottonwoodroot

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2014
Prince Rupert
So we folks here in Northwestern B.C. Canada are in the middle of our salmon fishing season. This morning I was out trying my luck, and while I passed the time waiting for a strike a friend and I practiced friction fire skills. No sooner had we started a bow drill fire than I looked up and saw a most awesome and terrifying sight. My rod, sitting in it's holder, was undulating up and down with terrific violence. It looked as though is was going to break in half. This is a 12 foot heavy duty salmon rod with heavy reel and line, and any description I provide falls short of conveying the anxiety I felt while I rushed toward my setup. I was able to reach it and set the hook before any major damage was done. To make a long story short, 35 arm burning minutes later I was in possession of a fish weighing around 50 pounds (other fisherman have caught salmon that weighed twice as much).
As I worked with the huge fillets I got off the salmon, I began to wonder how one would preserve such a catch in a survival situation. A fish this size could feed two people for a couple of weeks, if it didn't go rotten. So, the question to those with experience is, how do you preserve fish, or for that matter, any other wild meat, in large quantities when you lack any facilities such as smokers, salt, refrigeration? Imagine you have only a knife, axe, but not much else, and were able to luck out and secure a large amount of meat. What would you do?

Didgeridoohan

Tenderfoot
If you have an axe and a knife, building a rudimentary smoker shouldn't be much of a problem...

Make a tipi-type frame, something to hang the meat from inside the frame and then cover it with sticks and cover it all with dirt or moss. Just make sure to tend the fire closely and watch for your frame catching fire.

But of course, I could be way of here... I'm a vegetarian so I don't know the first thing about cooking meat. :lmao:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Nice catch mate!

I'd possibly dry it- as in on a rack a meter above the fire for a long time so it's like salmon jerky, or smoke it as Didgerhoohan suggested :).

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nice catch mate!

I'd possibly dry it- as in on a rack a meter above the fire for a long time so it's like salmon jerky, or smoke it as Didgerhoohan suggested :).

My thoughts as well. I was more curious as to how you'd fend off the bears with just the axe and knife. The smoking salmon would inevitably attract them.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I hate to say this but there was a nice piece on making a smoker out of a tripod frame on one of Ray Mears programmes. He used green branches complete with leaves on IIRC over the frame. Part way up was a rack made of twigs which the meat (deer in his case) was hung over. Not a big fire and I think more smoky fuel.
You could set a few of these up in different places I guess.

I'd also consider drying as mentioned earlier. If it's hot and sunny would it also dry in the sun exposed to dry air? Not sure if that's what it's like where you are. If drying or smoking I think filleting it thinly could speed up the process.

There's a supplier of jerked meats that's had good comments on this forum over the years. Can't remember the name but the owners turn up at bushcraft and reenactment events selling their wares. I think they had something about preserving meats on their website. Think he even posts on here. Perhaps he'd know. Vague comments that last bit sorry!

In these modern ages I'd just take it home and freeze it. Of course being in the UK I'd be able to get it home in time before it went off. Although I'd never catch one that big over here.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I think it was possibly the one about seasons based in the UK. IIRC another programme in the same series has him cooking a deer for the ghurkas. Might even be the same one.

Sorry I can't help any more. I have a good memory for things but I need a trigger sometimes and I don't have I've for the name of the series. He's done some very good stuff over the years and IMHO he's been developing his style alongside them so his programmes are really professional now. I really liked the one on the seasons and on processing foods with that researcher in ethno-botany (or whatever his discipline is called). Also an earlier one in Canada.

cottonwoodroot

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2014
Prince Rupert
Hello Mesquite,
I tired posting it up, but it seems as though the picture feature will only accept a URL rather than an actual file. I guess I need to subscribe to something like photobucket. Let me see what I can do. Just make sure to focus on the fish, and not the ugly guy holding it!!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hello Mesquite,
I tired posting it up, but it seems as though the picture feature will only accept a URL rather than an actual file. I guess I need to subscribe to something like photobucket. Let me see what I can do. Just make sure to focus on the fish, and not the ugly guy holding it!!

See if you can post it on your facebook page (assuming you have one) then copy and paste from there. It works for me.

cottonwoodroot

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2014
Prince Rupert
photo4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I hope that works. Sure doesn't look right to me. In any case, you can see that I am using a two stick carry method suggested by Mors Kochanski for carrying a roycraft frame pack. In the end, my sticks were not long enough, and I had to cut new ones. Once this was done, using this method I was able to carry my regular pack, my gear and the fish about a kilometer to the truck. I was impressed as I usually use the one stick system. I found the two stick carry to be far superior.

cottonwoodroot

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2014
Prince Rupert
Thanks all for the compliments, and thanks nomad for the links. It was a nice fish but has caused me some grief. As you can see, there was some sand on the carcass, and I guess I didn't get it all washed off. I processed the fish with my spyderco bushcraft and now I am at the water stones trying to work out micro chips.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE