Gerber Suspension Review (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Poco

Jan 15, 2010
Manchester
I am sure you all have seen this style of multitool before, balisong style pliers with tools within the handle.
It feels incredibly sturdy and is held by both large and small torx bolts.
9cm long when closed, 15.2cm when open, the big base makes it ideal for big handed people though may be a bit awkward for those with smaller hands.

S5030054.jpg

Despite the cutouts in the handle it is a bit of a fat boy weighing in at 225g compared to a Leatherman Kick which is 165g

S5030065-1.jpg

It comes with most of the tools you would expect.
-Needlnose springloaded pliers
-Wire cutter
-Fine edge knife 4.5cm
-Serrated edge knife
-Saw
-Springloaded Scissors
-Philips screwdriver
-Small and medium flatblade screwdrivers
-Can opener
-Bottle opener

S5030059-1.jpg

All the tools lock open and both knife blades are easy to open with one hand, as long as you are right handed. To disengage the lock you have to pinch either side of the metal lock and pull it towards you, I didn't have any trouble with or without gloves but it takes some getting used to, but it really does feel like a strong lock.

The tool quality is excellent and I have always been happy with Gerber tools, the blades are shaving sharp from the shop.
For the size of the tool the blades are a little small. They will do for almost any job you would expect from a multitool just don't expect to cut down any trees with it.

The main drawback is getting to these really good quality tools. Without gloves getting to the tools (knife excepted) can be a little fiddly, they all have notches to lift them out and even my short nails managed, but while wearing gloves it went from fiddly to impossible.
There is no way to get to the scissors, screwdrivers etc. without removing a glove or using a stick to dig at the tool wildly.

This niggle aside it is a very solid well designed piece of kit, the single best feature of this tool however is the price. These retail around £25 and for that price you really do get a lot of tool
I managed to pick mine up for a stunning price of just £9.99 and that included a free SilvaL4 headtorch (from Clas Ohlson) I intended to buy one at £25 instead I bought two and saved a fiver, I have not seen a better bit of kit for the price.

S5030067-1.jpg

Pros
-Price
-Quality
-Strong lock mechanism
-Price

Cons
-Heavy
-Fiddly tool access

Summary: It is not a Leatherman and the difference is noticeable, but for the price you get a multitool which punches way above its bracket, if you are looking for a multitool you can trust to do it's job but you won't be worried about losing then this may be just the ticket. 4.5/5

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
Nice to hear someone elses opinion as I was given one for xmas by my wife.
I'm impressed although like you said, having smaller hands does make it harder to use. Mine came with a small Gerber lock knife, well chuffed.
Great review.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
For that price and with a headlamp I'm interested.

Maybe I should have a little trip up to Watford where Clas Ohlson recently opened a store and see if they've got any.

Linden

Dec 1, 2009
Hampshire
I've had mine for about three years, now the locking mechanism on one side has gone, so everything on one side doesnt lock. apart from that, it does everything ive asked of it :)

Forager
Jun 16, 2008
North East
I've got one and its a good bit of kit or the money (I cant believe you got one for a tenner that's a crazy price :eek:). I don't know if you agree but I think the tools its geared more towards the work/around the house/in the car sort of environment I just find a SAK a bit more useful in the outdoors although next time I'm out i bet I'll need some pliers :rolleyes:

But for that money it is a absolute bargain, if I had one of those shops near me I would buy one in a heartbeat....along with about 20 moras!

Air Pirate

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2009
Nashville, TN, USA
I bought one a couple years ago because of the price. I liked it well enough but like 1972 said, it didn't seem geared for outdoor use. It gets most of its use from me at work now (I'm a mechanic).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE