Genuine Saperka (Russian Spade) ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
I haven't bought from them before, but have been warned off by another when considering buying an M4 parka from them... I didn't go through with the order so nothing definitive either way - you could buy it on credit card so you are covered perhaps?

I'm not sure of the provenance of their entrenching tools either, but Cold Steel do make a version of it, so that could be worth bearing in mind if finding an ex-Russian one proves tricky.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
I got a saperka, but a east german one. Its foldable and comes in rain camp. when set at 90degreed, im able to stab it into a tree and it holds my weight, just to give you an idea how strong they are. Ive had it for years, solid as a rock.

Also look at the polish ones if you need a solid one, rather than these flimsy ones that fold into a matchbox sixe and come with a pick axe too.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
only bought a few things from rusmil, honestly i consider them overly expensive.
mostly for my russian gear i went to either Russia or America for it (internet that is) and found it cheaper even with shipping.
although none of the sites i have listed have any of these spades.
Dmitry over at Soviet-propaganda.com should be able to get hold of one for you mind. he can generally get any russian kit.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
I got a saperka, but a east german one. Its foldable and comes in rain camp. when set at 90degreed, im able to stab it into a tree and it holds my weight, just to give you an idea how strong they are. Ive had it for years, solid as a rock.

Also look at the polish ones if you need a solid one, rather than these flimsy ones that fold into a matchbox sixe and come with a pick axe too.

I had an East German entrenching tool too, the folding type with a wooden handle and a black head. Keyhole-shaped hole in the centre of the head for removing nails with, 'MADE IN DDR' (in English of all things!) stamped into it, saw edge down one side of the head, chopping edge down the other, no pick like the West German one, comes in a 'strichtarn' canvas cover. It's the best E tool I've ever gotten my hands on, solid as a rock, packed with tools and much better than the NATO tri-fold one in my opinion.

Anyone know where I can get my hands on another one? I took the head of my East German one and put it on the NATO tri-fold handle to get it to pack down smaller (best of both worlds with that head on it, but it does weigh a bit), and the remaining NATO head and East German handle have been united into one (that doesn't fold unfortunately, since the attachment block on the NATO head is too big to rotate it) that is now carried in the boot of the car, but I would love to get hold of a proper old East German one again just to use 'as is'.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Iv ordered one at the weekend from rusmilitary; so ill be able to let you know how genuine they are when it arrives. I phoned them on saturday and they said they had 8 in stock. Mine should arrive wed or thurs.

I have bought a few in the past from a ukrainian seller on ebay; i cant remember his seller name but they are always priced at £15-20. They were genuine from old warehouse stock but the quality varied. Ive had 4 altogether from them.

Ive got one of the coldsteel versions too. Imho its pants compared to gen russian ones. I just use it for emergency car shovel incase i get stuck in snow etc.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I had an East German entrenching tool too, the folding type with a wooden handle and a black head. Keyhole-shaped hole in the centre of the head for removing nails with, 'MADE IN DDR' (in English of all things!) stamped into it, saw edge down one side of the head, chopping edge down the other, no pick like the West German one, comes in a 'strichtarn' canvas cover. It's the best E tool I've ever gotten my hands on, solid as a rock, packed with tools and much better than the NATO tri-fold one in my opinion.

Anyone know where I can get my hands on another one? I took the head of my East German one and put it on the NATO tri-fold handle to get it to pack down smaller (best of both worlds with that head on it, but it does weigh a bit), and the remaining NATO head and East German handle have been united into one (that doesn't fold unfortunately, since the attachment block on the NATO head is too big to rotate it) that is now carried in the boot of the car, but I would love to get hold of a proper old East German one again just to use 'as is'.

endicotts have the west german one, i have two and they are superb and realy far superior than the tri-fold ****e

http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=785, and if you live anywhere near junction 10 of the m25 addlestone army surplus have the east german version

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Thanks a ton MrEd, will have to give them a bell and see if one can be posted, that's a bit out of my way but then again they are seriously handy tools to have. Not tried the West German one but looks pretty solid and the price is good too. Hmmm... ;)

tetra_neon

Forager
Oct 1, 2005
E Mids
Iv ordered one at the weekend from rusmilitary; so ill be able to let you know how genuine they are when it arrives. I phoned them on saturday and they said they had 8 in stock. Mine should arrive wed or thurs.

Nice, Mike. Let us know if they're any good!

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Thanks a ton MrEd, will have to give them a bell and see if one can be posted, that's a bit out of my way but then again they are seriously handy tools to have. Not tried the West German one but looks pretty solid and the price is good too. Hmmm... ;)

i use the west german one for my other hobby of mine exploration, its a really bombproof bit of kit, the other advantage is you can strip it and service it and the mechanism doesnt jam due to the design it can be oiled easily.

im not sure if the east german ones in addlestone are genuine or chink knock offs i only glimpsed them as i was buying some other stuff, i will get their phone number next time i drive past as their website seems to be down,

i can supply pics of the west german one if you like

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Just called up Addlestone, unfortunately they were out of the Eastie beastie bits of kit... O well, the hunt goes on :p

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Magentus,
The russian's train their spetsnaz soldiers in hand to hand fighting with the russian issue shovel, which involves throwing it aswell. Its a martial art form called systema!

There is little difference between these shovels and any other country's version. The russian one has remained the same since the late 1800s .

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Just the stuff they would have on them at the time, or that the oponent would. Eg using the oponent's rifle and sling as a restraint.
Mostly though it is hand to hand combat moves teaching how to get out of sticky situations.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
That is surprising, must be some popular bits of kit, or as you say maybe they're not sure what I was on about!

It is these lot that you meant, right? http://www.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/addlestone-army-surplus-15590395.html

Cheers
Beardy

yeah thats them, im just surprised that they have sold out in such a short period of time! unless they didnt realise that they are east german shovels, its a bit of a funny shop tbh but now and again has some good bargains.

Just go to Endys, Kev will sort you out with one of the ones on his site, which are imo excellent

Bandis

Nov 23, 2009
south east
I popped into addlestone this morning and can confirm that they still have three of the East German ones in stock. They are the saw edged/keyhole ones and they are asking £20 each for them.

Hope this helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE