Gelert Solo One Man Tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Getting one of these [http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gelert-Solo-One-Man-Tent/dp/B00322QRQE/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t] as a birthday present (Sunday), anyone had experience with them before? I'm already thinking what i can do to shave some weight off it as i intend to use it as my starter tent to get me into bushcraft at the weekend :)

I'm already thinking of changing the pegs as no doubt that will shave a few grams off
Probably end up ditching the stuff sack and just tying it together instead of packing it in a bag

Anyone modded one before?

Donny732

Nov 25, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I had one, and it's, to be honest, not great. I'm 180cm tall and both my feet and my head touch the inner fly when lying flat, which isn't really a flaw, but worth noting. The build quality is good enough, although you are relying on the staking to keep the fly taut. That's not so unusual, but with the very limited space inside, it's easy pull out a peg if you roll over in your sleep. Condensation is also a problem. I don't know about the waterproofness, as I never slept in it in a decent rain. Getting in and out isn't bad until you add a sleeping bag to the equasion. Getting up for a **** in the middle of the night can be a bit of an ordeal.

Dumping the stuff sack is a great idea, as I found it almost impossible to get back in. As for mods, all I did was replace the guys with paracord. The supplied stuff was awful. All in all, it's the only tent/bivvy at it's price point in it's weight class, and it doesn't need trees like a tarp, so I can't really fault it. If you come up with any great mods, please post them up and I'll have a go myself.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Ta for the heads up Donny, I'm around 5' 8" so a tad smaller than you but will bare that in mind. I'm going to be on a camp bed or an inflatable, if worst comes to it i'll use a closed cell foam Z mat or if the worst comes to it, a sheet of cardboard.

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
If it doesn't work out I think the Coelman Libra X1 is in a similar price bracket but probs about 500g heavier. Good luck with the gelert. I'm in the market for a new tent so will be good to hear what you make of it.
Happy camping.

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
I've got one of these, it's not a bad tent for £30 but you do get what you pay for.
I'm always paranoid that the poles are going to snap being only GFRP, the materals feel and are cheap. But. It's a solo tent that weighs close to 1kg and is only £30. I'm about 5'8" too and found the space inside fine, the only thing that can get a bit awkward is getting dressed.

For modifications, as soon as I got mine I threw the pegs out, they're far too heavy and now I have alpkit Ti ones. I cut out all the reams of instructions and safety warnings from the bag and tent, then unpicked the stitching on the transparent document window on the stuff sack. This all shaved a noticeable amount of weight off.
If I was so inclined I might replace the poles with aluminium ones and replace the plastic groundsheet material with a lighter and quieter one but I don't think it's worth spending that much on a £30 tent.

In all I quite like it, I'm probably going to keep it for the odd time I'm not in my hammock although I'm looking at making my own lightweight tarp tent style shelter so it may be relagated to emergency use.

Bearded Bugs

Apr 2, 2012
Cornwall / Sussex
I haven't used this one in particular, but going on previous experiences with Gelert tents I'd stay clear. I know that's a dodgy way to think about new gear but they've put me off over the years.

screwdriver

Forager
Nov 28, 2010
calne
i looked seriously hard at one of these 2 years ago, as i wanted a lightish one man that packed fairly small but after all the reports on snapping poles spent more and went for a snugpack ionoshere and very glad i did.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Wow, that's some pic. Did you pitch on the snow or dig out your footprint? What kind of pad/kipmat did you use. Great pic.

There was next to no snow when I first pitched it
I used a multimat expedition and 3/4 prolite thermarest but actually only stored gear in the solo as we went all hard core and slept under a tarp shelter with a fire
Last week I was above the Wye Valley in a very strong wind and the Solo did the trick no problem in fact it was a veritable haven
Its not luxury and it is quite cramped but it works and its light to carry.Depends what you want it for I wouldn't take it car camping that's for sure as I have plenty of bigger tents,By the same token I wouldn't lug them around if I was hiking or hillwalking
All good fun though

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
I bought one of these for my daughter last year, she's only 11 so it's plenty big enough for her. I'm 6'1 and 20st and I've slept in it a few times with no problem at all, it's a bit like a coffin but it did the job. It takes a few mins to setup and others have said, swap the pegs out and shave off some of the excess tags and the weight drops right down.

For the price, I'd definitely recommend it.

Halfdevil333

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2006
On the Banks of Loch Lomond
I had one & i used it 2 then put it in the loft. I have taken it down to put it up in the garden fir the kids & everyone of the pole sections have split at the ends. So its a no from me. Spend a bit more and get the North Ridge one man from Go outdoors. Mind you i haven't heard anything about these.

Scott

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Am going to look at pitching it in the garden tommorrow so will see how it pitches and how i can tighten it up (if needed).....methinks i'm going to need to get a bigger rucksack, don't think my 35 litre is going to pack a tent, sleeping bag and noms (food etc) :lmao:

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
I have one and it's a great little tent. Keeps you dry and snug and it's small and light. But for anyone bigger than a child it does present some problems. As somebody has already said, it is little more than a canvas coffin. You cant move, you have to do everything outside the tent and then get into it for sleeping - nothing else is possible. Even taking your trousers off is not possible because you cannot flex your legs. Sitting up - impossible.

I like it. But you have to accept its limitations.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
I bought one of these last summer for a 3 day walk along The Ridgeway. I sold it after that as I decided it just wasn't for me. It's very light for the price, but it's just far too small. The main problem I had was that it's not big enough to cook inside, which could be a problem if it's raining. Also, it's not even big enough to sit up in, so you can't really get changed that easily inside.

I decided to spend a bit more and get a wild country zephyros 1 instead.

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
I had one & i used it 2 then put it in the loft. I have taken it down to put it up in the garden fir the kids & everyone of the pole sections have split at the ends. So its a no from me. Spend a bit more and get the North Ridge one man from Go outdoors. Mind you i haven't heard anything about these.

Scott

If you mean this one, then I wouldn't buy it without seeing once pitched and getting inside.
19843-290212122731891847858.jpg

Had a nosey in Go-outdoors in Manchester and it felt very small due to the saggy inner.

I used to have a coleman viper (sold it on here last year) which is a similar design but pitched inner first with the pole in a sleeve so it was a lot more taut.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Pitched me Coleman Bedrock 2 today, not too hard to pitch, it is however inner first with is nothing short of annoying, that said I've figured that i can use the outer as a tarp while pitching the inner.

It's a nice size tent although bit of a tight fit if you're using a camp bed so i think an inflatable is the way forward, although being a 2 man, like most, it's more like 1 man and kit

A slight trick i think they missed with this tent is there is no way to tightening the sloping sides of the inner, especially the rear/head slope, it sags a bit too much for my liking so i think there is going to be my first tweak.

The pole for the tent is a unique shape so it makes using old connectors (as a backup) a bit tricky as you'd need to preshape them. The side of the tent were a bit on the flappy side even when pulled taut so i can see me moving the peg tabs to get a best anchor point (and a more taut outer as a result)

Pros:
Lightweight
Twin side doors (so it doesn't matter what side your sleeping bag unzips
Outer can double as a tarp of sorts

Cons:
Pitches inner first
Proprietary sharped pole connectors

Most impressive part for me was getting it back in to the bag first time....and no tears in the bag either :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE