GB Axes surface finish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Daft question, but does anyone know how the "black" surface on forged axes is achieved? I'm certain I read somewhere is a chemical rather than applied effect but I'm not certain I can recall what it was - does anyone have the info to hand?

Red

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Hi Red,

Finally got over and registered here!

I believe that color comes from the carbonization of the steel during the forging process. So, basically it is just a coating of carbon black.

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
I'd have thought it is from when the axe head is quenched after heating, I know the blades I've quenched in oil come out with a black/grey coating on the surface.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
weaver said:
Yes, You may be right about that. Would it be burnt oil then?

Could be - its clear the blades are sharpened afterwards as the bevel is clean - hmmm. Its a good tough rust free finish but it does wear away after use and it would be nice to "top it up". Don't fance ruining the temper of the blade though!.

Fantastic to hear from you again weaver - welcome to BCUK, I'll look forward to chatting again my friend - I've missed our talks

All the very Best

Red

twelveboar

Forager
Sep 20, 2005
County Durham
If you just want to colour the surface of the steel, try rubbing it with half an onion, then letting it dry before oiling it, I think this gives a nice "patina" on steel, but you may want to try it on something first to see if you like it, I dicovered the effect by accident after slicing an onion with an Opinel.
For a more permanent effect, your local gunshop will have something like this, although it is called blue, it is actually a black with a bluish tint, it's for treating gun barrels.
gunblue.jpg

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
We used to have some stuff at college that was black carbon powder...mixed with water and used on lead pipe to stop the solder sticking when we wiped a joint...have spent the last ten minutes trying to find it...so far nil result...

LS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE