Gasp Otters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
A bit shocked and stunned by this one

2 otters frolicking in the water while I was walking the dog, maybe 30 feet away from me.

Cautious and wary of me , but they both put their heads out of the water and watched me pass.

Dog didnt see them which is good as she is a water lover and her idea of fun is trying to catch ducks - never got me dinner yet though.

I suspect they were moving through and a regular holt had been disturbed by recent railway clearing operations in preparation for reopening Edinburgh to Galashiels railway line, lots of tree cutting and bridge inspecting going on on the old disused railway line running thru town and parallel to the river.

This is only the second time I have seen otters in my life ( last time was while I was crossing a bridge in the town centre a few years ago) .

The river with little human access and the disused railway both going through the middle of town are a bit of a nature haven but still I feel honoured to have seen these 2

Tant

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Nice one! I certainly had no idea there were any otters left in the Borders. I've only ever seen them in the sea lochs up around Skye.

Good news! :)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
It's something wonderfull isn't it.
I was fly fishing in Wales a few years ago at dusk, stood in the middle of the river I sensed something behind and 2 otters swam by 10 feet away - magical.
I packed up and went home, it doesn't get better than that IMO

Then a couple of days later I saw one of them again at the same place, same situation.

Mark

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Nice one! I certainly had no idea there were any otters left in the Borders. I've only ever seen them in the sea lochs up around Skye.

Good news! :)

Aye I've only ever seen Mink (in gangs of 3) on the Water of Leith ...... although apparenlty there are Otters. I'm seeing more and more Kingfishers though! Saw 3 last week on my cycle into work!

K

Karr

Nice one! I always get a little jealous when i hear of people spotting Otters.I've been surveying my local rivers for the past five years, loads of signs, no visual though.
The closest i have come to Otters, was up in Llandovery. Caught a couple of big eels and one nice trout, bagged them, placed them in the lake to keep them fresh for breaky. Woke up in morning! bag up on bank, fish gone. An Otter had come within 15 feet of me, and stole my grub from under my nose.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Aye I've only ever seen Mink (in gangs of 3) on the Water of Leith ...... although apparenlty there are Otters. I'm seeing more and more Kingfishers though! Saw 3 last week on my cycle into work!

Kingfishers on the Water of Leith? Excellent! Where abouts?

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Its a great feeling isn't it. We've had a few sightings in our village (my inlaws had the honour of seeing a pair), nice thing is they are favouring the 'less pretty' (less people) parts of our local rivers.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Kingfishers on the Water of Leith? Excellent! Where abouts?

Right in the center of town. I'll PM you the spot where I've seen them most often, however, I think you get them along it's full length ...... they (the Water of Leith Conservation Trust) are even putting out special nesting boxes for them now after a fly tipping idiot covered the entrance to their nest a few years back.

To be fair I suspect those that I saw last week were probably just the same individual hanging about on different parts of the river :eek: :rolleyes: :D !

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Come to the river Tivy in Wonderful West Wales - we have Otters and Kingfishers to spare!
I rarely get out canoeing on the river without seeing Kingfishers and several times a year I will see otters. I see fresh tracks and spraint nearly every trip, along with mink spoor.
Lucky So&so ain't I?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE