Furry white mould

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Blades

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 6, 2009
Aberdeen
I was gathering some wood a few weeks ago to stock up on spoon carving supplies for the use of and now one branch has white fur growing where the wood was broken... What is this and do I need to be worried about it taking over the whole house/country in some sort of 1950s B movie fashion... In all seriousness I'm just wondering if it's toxic or whatever as I have a cat that wonders around the place licking things he shouldn't.

wildman695

Forager
Jun 17, 2009
Ilfracombe, Devon
all dead, and live wood carries fungus, sprores, and insect life. I for one would NOT bring it into the house until it has been cleaned or treated, but then I store fire logs outside as well.

Blades

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 6, 2009
Aberdeen
Hm. Well I scurryed off and threw out the log of death into the organic litter bin. None of the other bits seem to be infected. I keep them in the celler in a covered bin.. maybe would be better in the sheddy? I don't have that much, just enough for a few spoons then I go to get more.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Surely its being in the covered bin that is likely to be the root (no pun intended) cause of the problem.
Im not saying that all wood doesnt have some fungal association, but if you put a bit of wet wood in a plastic bag it goes furry a lot faster!
Having said that if you are wanting to use the wood for spoons etc and keep it partially green maybe that exactly what you would want to do. If you dont mind it drying out a bit keep it out. Having said that m,y wood is al stored inside - but then i am in a nasty 80's block of flats so dont have to worky about tuder architecture of have anywhere else to store it (appart from the car boot - where there is some..)

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I'm sure this is just a surface mould that will grow anywhere warm and damp. If your house is that way inclined things will grow furry mould whether you bring it in or not. The kitchen in our old cottage was like that. If you have a fairly warm dry house nothing will grow it. Even if it does grow on things it won't harm you. I lived for twelve years and raised two kids in that place and we're all fit and healthy!!
Nicola

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE