fungi pics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Here's some fungi we found today - I have some 'definite' and some 'tentative' id's for these. I'd be interested to see what you make of them.

1:
armillariapossA.jpg

2:
coprinusposs2A.jpg

3:
ganodermaposs2A.jpg

4:
coriolusversicolorA.jpg

5:
coprinuspossBA.jpg

6:
hygrocybeposs2A.jpg

7:
lactariuspossA.jpg

8:
lycoperdonPossA.jpg

9:
pleurotuslignatilispossA.jpg

10:
unknownstalkedA.jpg

11:
unknownorangeA.jpg

12:
unknowngreyA.jpg

13:
pleurotuspossA.jpg

All of these were growing in and around mixed park/woodland on underlying chalk with a fine silty soil above (beneath the leaf litter).

If you want to know dimensions quote the number and I'll give more info but most have something in the pic to give a sense of scale. Have fun! :D

Bigman

Life Member
May 28, 2006
Newton Abbot, Devon.
Hi chickenofthewoods,

You have some great pictures of some interesting fungi but unfortunately I have no idea what any of them are.

The only fungi that I trust myself with are the one's that I buy in a supermarket. :D

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
:lmao: Yeah, I used to feel like that - happy to forage for plants and stuff, but fungi was a bit of a grey area. Still there you are, you never stop learning!

Let's see if anyone wants to bite the bullet with a few guesses before I give any clues. :)

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Armed with "Usborne Spotters Guide - Mushrooms and Fungi"

1 could be an amanita but more likely "cluster fungus" galerina mutabilis

2 and 5 could be "magic mushroom"

3 could be a ganoderma

4 turkey feather - coriolus versicolor

7 brown roll rim - paxillus involutus

8 puffball

9 oyster fungus

13 another oyster

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Hi Rich, some very good guesses! Here's what I have for them:

(E)=edible
(I)=inedible

1. Armillaria mellea - Honey Fungus (E)

2. This one's a bit of a guess, because it's so far gone - but I'm considering Coprinus atramentarius - Common Ink Cap (E)

3. Ganoderma resinaceum - Lacquered Bracket (I)

4. Coriolus versicolor - Turkey Tail (I)

5. Coprinus leiocephalus - (An Ink Cap with no common name) (I)

6. Flammulina velutipes - Velvet Shank (bit of a guess here) (E)

7. Lepista Flaccida - (E) or possibly a Lactarius of some sort (milk Cap) (Both total guesses, & the nearest I can get. The brown rollrim is much larger and has a stem colour that matches the cap - this one is white stemmed and much smaller)

8.Lycoperdon perlatum - Common Puffball (E - when young & white fleshed)

9.Pleurotus lignatilis - No common name (I)

10. Rhodotus palmatus - No common name (I)

11.No idea at all! :lmao: I had thought it was an orangepeel fungus, but it had gills.

12. Best guess but by no means sure: Tricholoma Scalpturatum (E) - No common name.

13.Panellus serotinus - Olive Oysterling (E)
(I'm not completely sure about this one as it's an umcommon fungi, but the characteristics are a very good fit)

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Here's some more to keep you busy :)
xylariahypoxylonA.jpg

whiteclusterA.jpg

For scale, that's an acorn cup behind number 3. Tiny huh? :shock:
weethingA.jpg

unknownbrowncapA.jpg

thedeceiver2A.jpg

thedeceiverA.jpg

sulphurtuftA.jpg

smallfawngroupA.jpg

Another tiny one - number 8 is less than 2cms high.
russulapossAA.jpg

russulafragilispossA.jpg

russulapossA.jpg

PholiotasquarrosaA.jpg

parasolA.jpg

oldfistulina2A.jpg

oldfistulinaA.jpg

finestemmedA.jpg

crackedtop2A.jpg

crackedtopA.jpg

Sorry the cap's out of focus, but I wanted to show the cracking.
coprinuspicaceus1A.jpg

coprinusmicaceusA.jpg

amethystdeciever1A.jpg

bigyellowA.jpg

My personal favourite. A truly magnificent beast. :D

Bigman

Life Member
May 28, 2006
Newton Abbot, Devon.
Another batch of some wonderful looking fungi and again I have no idea what any of them are.

Which leads me to a fond memory of my late Father who passed away in June of this year.

We were visiting family in Exeter and the field adjacent to the house was full of mushrooms and my Father gave me to carry a wicker basket (was always kept in the car) and we proceeded to pick the field mushrooms plus other curious looking mushrooms.

I didn't take much notice of the diferent types but each one he named and said whether they were edible or not.

I asked him how he knew what each were and all he said was that his Father had taught him.

At that time all I was interested in was car's and girl's :D

As this was over twenty years ago and on reflection I now wish I had listened more to what he was teaching me but taste's and interest's change over time so it's never too late to learn something new as I have already learnt an enormous amount from BCUK and it's members.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
No 15 is Magpie ink cap - Coprinus picaceus. If you look, you'll notice that it is a dark cap with white scales. The Parasol is white capped with brown scales.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Good one! I would have left that personally, if I have any doubt.........

I do find the younger they are the harder they are to ID. The thing for every one to take away is if you are not sure, leave it!!

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Ahhhh... You're assuming that I'm looking for the pot? Although I often do, that's not always the case. I look to learn, and photograph/take notes of what I see to help me with that.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
No, I was saying that it looked very much like a parasol at first glance, until you pointed out the differences whereupon it is actually quite obviously not. It's not the sort of mistake I want to make as i do eat mine, so if I do have doubt I leave them behind! I found a great deal of what looked like Boletes this summer, but the pores underneath seemed really large and I couldn't ID it correctly. There were tons of them in the woods but I didn't want to take the risk.

Some really good pictures in this thread though, I've got a couple of pics, but most aren't good enough to post on here for ID purposes. I have one, but most people here would get it straight away!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
spamel said:
No, I was saying that it looked very much like a parasol at first glance, until you pointed out the differences whereupon it is actually quite obviously not. It's not the sort of mistake I want to make as i do eat mine, so if I do have doubt I leave them behind! I found a great deal of what looked like Boletes this summer, but the pores underneath seemed really large and I couldn't ID it correctly. There were tons of them in the woods but I didn't want to take the risk.

Spamel, are you finding that the vast majority of mushrooms in Germany are v similar to those in the UK - but there are more of them!?!

I've kind of decided that rather than learn a bit about all of them, I'm learning a few of the good, plentiful ones really well - like the boletes and the parasol. Otherwise, I feel I'm overwhelmed by too many things to remember.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Number 2 I'm not sure of, but I know it's not a Liberty cap ( Psilocybe semilanceata). No. 5 is a Deceiver (Laccaria laccata), it's edible but Roger's has it down as 'not worthwhile'.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Id put my money on 11 being a parasol too, although i do not know if they are so spherical when young so this is going by the cap. 14 looks like a milk cap but which one I dont know! Number 4 charcoal burner? That dark capped russula thing? The stem looks especially thick though. For number 17 I am thinking amythest deceiver and number 5 a blewit? Might have them the wrong way around!

Tough quiz! Number 8 looks familiar but cant conjure up a name.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE