Fungi of Hainault Forest (Pic Heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Richie O

Jan 10, 2007
Harold Wood, Essex
I started working at Hainault Forest a few months ago and have been taking photos of some of the Fungi i have found there!

I've managed to id a fair few of them and even eat a couple of them (There is nothing better than grabbing a couple of eggs from the farm, picking some nettles and grabbing a parasol from the back field and having an omlette for lunch) :)

Anyway's, here are the pics

BabyParasols.jpg

The baby parasols in the back field
IMAG0191.jpg

Big ol' Parasols, This is the one i ate in the omlette :D

BabyInkcap.jpg

Inkcap.jpg

Somesortofinkcap.jpg

These are some sort of Inkcap, they are growing on horse dung so i thought that they may be Coprinus narcoticus but they look more like Snowy Inkcaps. Any ideas?

Oyster.jpg

BranchedOysters.jpg

IMAG0145.jpg

BranchedOysters2.jpg

A collection of oysters, which were lovely :)

Chickenofthewoods-1.jpg

Chickenofthewoods2-1.jpg

Some chicken of the woods! Didn't get to eat either of these though :(

RussulaErythropusPeltereau.jpg

RussulaErythropusPeltereau2.jpg

Maybe Russula Erythropis Peltereau, not too sure though, again any ideas!

IMAG0091.jpg

IMAG0069.jpg

A big old Dryads Saddle, you can see my dog's neck under one of the pics!

UnknownFungi2.jpg

No idea what these are but they were growing on a small bit of wood stuck on a patch of lawn

IMAG0189.jpg

I think that these are Giant Polypore

HypholomaFasciculareSulphurTuft.jpg

Sulphur Tuft

IMAG0188.jpg

I don't know what these are but i love this picture! :D

IMAG0161.jpg

I think that these are Bay Bolete, there was a Polish guy at work who picked a load of them and told me that he was going to boil them up with an onion and if the onion turned black he wouldn't eat them!! :eek:
My id of them was either Bay Bolete or Devils Bolete, but he didn't die and wasn't ill so i came to the conclusion that they were Bay Bolete.

IMAG0184.jpg

IMAG0183.jpg

Haven't managed to positively id'd these yet!

Hope you have enjoyed the pictures and i haven't used up all your bandwidth! :D

I have a few more to add at some point....

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Fantasitc pics thanks for posting, I used to work at Hatfield Forest just up the road but never visited Hainault, looks like a great site, do you have many old pollards there? Do you work for the Woodland Trust?

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The bottom one is webcap, it is not the one that author nearly bumped himself off with, but your fab photo shows all those clear family features:
BROWN GILLS AND THE WEB BETWEEN THE CAP AND THE STEM IS A SERIOUS NO-NO
I'll look which one I think it is. The little ones in the grass are maybe coprinus plicatilis or lieocephalus. I am little stumped on the others. As for the polish, toxicologists owe a great debt to the polish people for their ability to bump themselves off with flora and fungi, lecciniums can turn onion black when cooked and they are perfectly edible.

Good look with the new job beats getting shot at because some knob hasn't got an oyster card. Hainualt has some great blewits in november.

pwb

Great photos.
I've got one like number 17 in your line up growing on a large beech. I thought it might have been Chicken of the woods , but that's a guess, which really is as far as I get with fungi . Really should try to learn more about them. :rolleyes:

Pete.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
dont die of mushroom poisoning - let a Pole test them first!! lol
great pictures. Im not very well up on bolettes, or any mushrooms really.

Richie O

Jan 10, 2007
Harold Wood, Essex
Good look with the new job beats getting shot at because some knob hasn't got an oyster card. Hainualt has some great blewits in november.

I shall keep an eye out for the blewits, do you have any idea where they are growing in abundance?
And thanks for the good luck wishes, yep this job is a thousand times better than driving buses, although i did have to take a 15k pay cut :(

dont die of mushroom poisoning - let a Pole test them first!! lol

The thing was as well, he got really upset with me when i told him that unless i was 100% positive as to what i was eating i wouldn't bother. He told me that he had been eating wild mushrooms since he was 10 and hadn't died in 40 years and that just because i eat the fake mushrooms from Sainsburys i shouldn't even be bothered. :rolleyes:
Still, the onion testing method must be sure fire if he still isn't dead :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE