Fungi!! Anyone want to hazard a guess?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Richie O

Jan 10, 2007
Harold Wood, Essex
Although i would prefer a positive id :)

DSCF0573.jpg

It is growing out of a stump i use for chopping wood against (species unknown). If that's any help!

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Does it smell of anise?

does it discolour when bruised?

could you put one on piece of dark paper overnight and tell us if what colour the spores are?

I going around a family called lentinus, but the surface of the cap looks wrong. I really haven't much of an idea though.

Richie O

Jan 10, 2007
Harold Wood, Essex
Sorry i haven't updated recently i've just been tooooo busy :(

The cap size is 2" and they are growing right now!

They just smell mushroomy and they don't really discolour when bruised. I haven't had the time yet to do the spore colour test.

Also i think that i may have a couple of St George's growing in my front garden now. I will try to take a photo and post that later today :)

xylaria

St goerges has really quite distinctive strong smell for mushroom, to me it is very pleasant. The gills are very tightly packed. The colour and texture of the cap reminds me of a bread roll, your bread roll looks a bit stale. If you cut your mushroom in half the flesh should be alot deeper than the gills. Get a proper ID, it looks past eating anyway.

I am still racking my brain on the first one:banghead: .

Richie O

Jan 10, 2007
Harold Wood, Essex
Yep, they were well beyond eating, they had a bit of a maggot infestation. They were only pointed out to me the other day by my daughter and the only reason i didn't leave them there was because i wanted to cut the shin high grass. :D

xylaria

Yep, they were well beyond eating, they had a bit of a maggot infestation. They were only pointed out to me the other day by my daughter and the only reason i didn't leave them there was because i wanted to cut the shin high grass. :D

Don't worry about picking them they should turn up next year in the same spot, depending on weather. The one in the piccy have droped their spore any way as they are starting to yellow on the gills. Blimey thats early for fungi fly. Blooming mild winters.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE