Fungal Foray in Cornwall

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
The Lost Gardens of Heligan

For anyone that is interested there is a 'Fungal Foray' planned on Sun 29th October from 1.30 - 5pm.

"Join expert John Gregory on a hunt for fughi and lichen throughout the Heligan Estate. Normal garden admission charges. Book via Heligan reception"

j

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Thanks for the heads up janiepopps. Amazing the variety of places offering fungi forays etc nowadays especially the FC. Good to see people interested in them.

With the weather we have right now it's almost impossible to walk out of the door without seeing a mushie :)

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Event : Fabulous fungi
Venue : Lanhydrock (in Cornwall)
Date(s) : Saturday 21 October 2006
Description : An easy going stroll looking at the amazing world of mushrooms and looking at key identification features
Time(s) : 2pm - 4pm
Price(s) : Adults: £5.00, Children: £2.50
lanhydrock@nationaltrust.co.uk
Notes : Meet at Respryn car park
Booking essential

The same event will be held again on Saturday 4 November 2006

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
Event : Fungus Foray
Venue : Dartmoor: Plymbridge Woods, SW Dartmoor (in Devon)
Date(s) : Thursday 19 October 2006
Description : Search the woods and discover the fascinating world of mycology.
Time(s) : 2-4pm
Price(s) : Adults: £4.00, Children: £2.00
stephen.holley@nationaltrust.org.uk
Notes : Well-behaved dogs welcome. Meet at Plym Bridge, Grid Ref SX 524 585.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
Nope, :banghead: I knew I wouldnt be going to the Dartmoor woodland walk, but I really wanted to go the Lanhydrock one however I couldnt make it.

I do plan to go to the Fungal Foray planned on Sun 29th October at the Lost Gardens of Heligan. I've never been to a fungal foray, or bushcraft course, looking forward to it. janiepopps you gona make it to the one on the 29th?

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Yeah, still planning on going.

There are SO many shrooms around at the mo and i can only ident a couple, so it will be good to pick an 'experts' brains!!

Hope to see you there!!

j

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Nightwalker said:
Well,.. :banghead: sums it up for me. I had a bit of a disaster and the mrs has had to steal my car for three days for her work, so I couldnt make it. :( Gutted because I really wanted to go to this one.

Let us know how it was janiepopps. Enjoy it?

Hehehe, Oh how I laughed!!

I went up to this young man from newquay and enquired of him 'I say old bean, are you from BCUK' He looked at me somewhat oddly....... :confused: Just as well I didnt ask him if he was a Nightwalker!!!! :lmao:

Yeah I had a great time cheers. John was an amzing fella, full of knowledge & wisdom. A lovely man. ID'd (?) tonnes of stuff, most of which I am ashamed to sat went wayyyy over my head (Latin names, Greek names, Common or garden names...) But now am happy that I can ID a few edibles without doing myself or others harm. The easiest to ID without confusion are the Ink Caps, Cauliflower Fungus and Puffballs. That should keep me going a while...!

Oh, and the weather was perfect............ :D

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Blimey, to start with there must have been 40 of us :eek: We soon lost a lot after taking 2 and a half hours to 'walk' from the ticket office to the top of the jungle! (dont know if you know Heligan well - it normally would take 10 minutes to walk that far) By the end there were only a handful of us left which was nice.

I did get a bit narked when we were asked at the outset not to pick specimens as other visitors couldnt enjoy them and also they wouldnt be able to spore properly. Every 2 minutes people were coming up with different ripped up species to show him, most annoying....

But all in all it was great and I hope to go again next year. Do you know of any others forays locally that are still to come??

ATB
j

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
janiepopps said:
But all in all it was great and I hope to go again next year. Do you know of any others forays locally that are still to come??
Fungi Forays tend to peter out in October but there are a few more down your way janiepopps and in other areas still.

Well there's the one Nightwalker posted earlier;

KNIGHTSHAYES COURT (in Devon)
Date(s) : Saturday 4 November 2006

and

National Trust:
Event : Fabulous fungi
Venue : Lanhydrock (in Cornwall)
Description : An easy going stroll looking at the amazing world of mushrooms and looking at key identification features
Time(s) : 10am - 12.30pm
Price(s) : Adults: £5.00, Children: £2.50
lanhydrock@nationaltrust.co.uk
Notes : Meet at Respryn car park BE
Further information available here
Event : An Introduction to the World of Fungi - Ashclyst
Venue : Killerton (in Devon)
Date(s) : Sunday 12 & Sunday 19 November 2006
Description : An exploration of fungi in Ashclyst forest, part of the Killerton estate, with Nigel Pinhorn of Exe Nature Walks.
Time(s) : 1pm
Price(s) : Adults: £6.50, Children: £4.00
killerton@nationaltrust.org.uk
Notes : Booking essential.
Further information available here

From Wild Cornwall (Magazine of the Cornwall Wildlife Trust);
Sunday 17 November

BRANCH /CARADON MOORLAND COUNTRYSIDE SERVICE
FUNGUS FORAY
Merryhue Farm, Callington 1.3Opm
Meet at the lay-by on the right, up the hill from Callington Newbridge,
towards Liskeard. SX339681
A mixture of coniferous and deciduous woodland with wet bottoms
will give us a
rich variety of fungus. Wear wellies and bring a basket and any
books you may
have on fungus.
Leader: John Gregory. Contact: Tony Atkinson (01579)370433
source: http://www.chycor.co.uk/wild-cornwall/page25.htm

Other fungi forays wider afield in November are noted on these links;

Locally to me and one I may well go to this weekend (not checked spaces yet) at the Kingcombe Centre, Toller Porcorum, Dorset

Saturday 4 November 10.30 - 4.30pm
FUNGUS FORAY AT POWERSTOCK
Leader: John Wright
(See also 22 Oct, 27-29 Oct & 5 Nov)
An exploration of one of Dorset's richest areas of woodland. We will return to the Centre at about 4pm for our tea. Bring a hand lens if you have one.
John Wright has over 25 years experience as a member of the BMS and twelve years teaching experience. His website address is www.wildmushrooms.info
Meet at the entrance to Powerstock Common Explorer 117 547974.
Fees: £15, children £5. This includes morning refreshments and afternoon tea. Numbers are limited so booking in advance is essential.

Our policy on collecting fungi: In order to minimise the impact of collecting on the abundance of the local fungi, we aim to pick just enough specimens for identification and teaching purposes, and to leave the rest to produce their spores and for others to enjoy.

Sunday 5 November 10.30am - 4.30pm
KINGCOMBE FUNGUS FORAY
Leader: John Wright
(See also 22 Oct, 27-29 Oct & 4 Nov)
Numbers are limited so booking in advance is essential
A day of investigating, identifying and perhaps eating fungi. The day will begin at 10.30am with coffee and an introduction to the species likely to be found; the rest of the morning will be spent in the field. Bring a picnic to have in or around the Centre. After lunch there will be an identification session followed by tea and cake. We shall cook any edible fungi for everyone to try if they wish.
John Wright has over 25 years experience as a member of the BMS and twelve years teaching experience. His website address is www.wildmushrooms.info
Fees: £15, children £5. This includes morning refreshments and afternoon tea.

Our policy on collecting fungi: In order to minimise the impact of collecting on the abundance of the local fungi, we aim to pick just enough specimens for identification and teaching purposes, and to leave the rest to produce their spores and for others to enjoy.

National Trust Events
Event : Fungal Foray
Venue : Calke Abbey (in Derbyshire)
Description : Search for the fungal delights of Calke Park
Time(s) : 2pm
Price(s) : Adult Members: £6.00
calkeabbey@nationaltrust.org.uk
Notes : Pre booking essential
Event : Fabulous Fungi
Venue : Slindon (in West Sussex)
Date(s) : Saturday 11 November 2006
Description : Come for a stroll on Slindon Common to search for these curious Autumn Fruits, and discover something of their strange world.
Time(s) : 10am - 1pm
Justin.ruddle@nationaltrust.org.uk
Notes : Meet Warden, Justin Ruddle, at Woodlands Farm, Mill Road, Slindon Common for this 2 mile stroll. Donations of £3 pp minimum welcome. Booking necessary.
Event : Fungi Foray
Venue : Kingswood, Winscombe Hill (in Somerset)
Date(s) : Saturday 18 November 2006
Time(s) : 11am
Price(s) : Child Members: £1.00, Adults: £3.00, Children: £5.00
rachel.thompson@nationaltrust.org.uk
Notes : Booking advised. Parking at the site, Grid Ref: ST421 560

National Trust- Stowe Landscape Gardens (in Buckinghamshire - Sunday 5 November 2006

RSPB - The Lodge nature reserve, Sandy, Bedfordshire. Free Plus reserve entrance fee for non-members - Sunday 5 November 2006

RHS Gardens Wisley, Surrey:
5 November
WALK: Fungus foray,
with Dr Brian Spooner, 10.30am. Note:
tickets must be booked in advance.
P See Compass,
The Garden,October,
p717, for a description.

Also try the Forestry Commision as they usually have a lot but their web site is down at the mo.

Remember to check availability before going!!

happy foraging :)

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Fantastic, thanks for that!!

This one that you posted is being led by the same dude, John Gregory. Anyone local to the area should try and make it - he certainly knows his stuff!

(Nightwalker - could you wear a name badge if you can make it please!!!!! :D )

Sunday 17 November
BRANCH /CARADON MOORLAND COUNTRYSIDE SERVICE
FUNGUS FORAY
Merryhue Farm, Callington 1.3Opm
Meet at the lay-by on the right, up the hill from Callington Newbridge,
towards Liskeard. SX339681
A mixture of coniferous and deciduous woodland with wet bottoms
will give us a
rich variety of fungus. Wear wellies and bring a basket and any
books you may
have on fungus.
Leader: John Gregory. Contact: Tony Atkinson (01579)370433

j

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Nightwalker said:
Howdy, in the next half hour I'll go through the dates above and see what I can make :) got my car back today. To save further confusion and you scareing other randoms, heres a pic of me; Ashley. :p
I'll post back soon.

:lmao: Nice one mate!!! :You_Rock_

(Dont think I really scared him, I think he secretly enjoyed it. His girlfriend on the other hand possibly wasn't so sure :D !!!)

j

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE