Fully dried piptoporus betulina or razor strop - what happens next?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi All,

I've fully dried the two piptoporus betulina that I gathered several weeks ago.

They have not shrunk and still look like this: -

Polypore.jpg

They are as light as a feather and as hard as old boots.

I would like to have a go using one as an coal fungus and the other as a strop.

Could any kind soul please give me some pointer in how to prepare these for the two uses?

Cheers,

Phil.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Not tried it myself,yet, but the advice I was given for making a strop was to cut a rectangular even section of fungus the place between to boards and squeeze in a vice and leave to dry. It will leave a flat rectangle of dried fungus to use as a strop, put it on a board or some other backing to use.
I was told about it at the Achray meet and will try it soon, I can't remember who told me, I have trouble remembering my childrens names sometimes too :eek:

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
For fire - the most effective part I find is the bit closest to the attachment to the tree. It will take a strong firesteel spark straight onto the white/ cut surface and then carry on smouldering until you have no fungus left.

typha

Mar 31, 2006
Lanarkshire Scotland
To use these for coals, carve a depression on the bottom (pore side) and place an ember in the depression.When the ember is in the depression hold it in place with a small twig to prevent blowing it away and blow it to create more heat.The fungi should be glowing in the depression after about a minute meaning it is now alight. Pay careful attention for the first five minutes or so after the fungi is lit as they often go out at this stage.A large razor strop fungi will burn for several hours depending on air flow.
To create a strop it is best to cut the fungi to shape before drying as they are very difficult to cut when they are dry.To make a basic strop I have cut a rectangular section out, removed the pore tube layer from the underside and left it to dry, then abraded the rectangular section on a flat rock to flatten it, a bit rustic but functional.
It is better to mount your strop on a board as they really warp if you get any moisture on them if you do not.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE