full tang cpm3v scandi bushcraft knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peterdc

Dec 28, 2011
Belgium
hello... I am looking for a full tang cpm3v scandi grind bushcraft knife...
so far I've found shing and skookum bush tool.
Are there any other around you know of?
A2 sugestions are also welcome

cheerios,
Peter

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
You also have the Liten Bror From Bark River in CMP-3V... Both that and the Aurora (in A2, 3V at some stage) are convex. The LB being a scandi convex.

Peterdc

Dec 28, 2011
Belgium
You also have the Liten Bror From Bark River in CMP-3V... Both that and the Aurora (in A2, 3V at some stage) are convex. The LB being a scandi convex.

those are convex indeed, but I'm searching for a scandi grind... most of them are in O1 (in the carbon range) but that's a bit to corrosion sensitive for me
A2 and 3V are better corrosion resistant, that's why...

and what is a scandi convex?

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Taken from Bark River...

A “Convex Scandi Grind” is a grind that is half way up the blade, but the grind itself is convex. Contrary to modern thinking, original Scandi grinds were (like nearly all knives) convex grinds. The convex grind allows the edge to be supported by nearly 400% more metal.

Bark River only do A2, and now the newer CMP-3V. With one or two Carbon/Stainless jobs.

Peterdc

Dec 28, 2011
Belgium
hmm.. but I suppose that these convex scandi has a convex-behaviour when working wood?
or is this grind leaning more towards the scandi feel?

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I've been waiting for them to do a second run to purchase one myself... I'll dig you out a few reviews now.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64893&highlight=liten+bror+revew

Its supposed to be a decent carver, as the convex is quite shallow. I know what you mean about convex 'bite' and wood. Doe's it have to be CMP? I'm sharpening a Helle Laminated Stainless Steel as we speak that takes a stunning edge, and keeps it.

If you class heavily carving some well seasoned Hornbeam for an hour, then a few wipes with a strop and back to shaving sharp!

Last edited:

Peterdc

Dec 28, 2011
Belgium
which stainless steel has the Helle? and do you think it is as good as carbon for scandi grind?
I'm new in steel properties, but as far as I've read, carbon is prefered for scandi..

for me wear resistance and not to heavy for sharpening is the most important.. something which is more chipping-resistant...

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Yep Rob... And there's a few for sale via Lurch on here new, good price!

Feedback-http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73004&highlight=helle+temegami

For Sale- http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84523&highlight=helle+temegami

The stainless steel is Helle's laminated blend. I've had a dabble with 01, A2, CMP-S30V and Helle's Stainless. For the price, its really nice! It gets very, very sharp and keeps an edge for a long time. That much I do know.
I don't want to sway your choices, but I would recommend giving the Temegami some serious thought.

Last edited:

Peterdc

Dec 28, 2011
Belgium
pfff... I wish I had the time to try out and check various.. but time and money (before I leave to brazil) only allows me 1 scandi to bring with me... so many nice knives out here!! but I guess it doesn't matter that much...

I have found a koster bushcraft (cpm3v) for sale... do you think the temegami would be a better choise?

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
That's a tough call... Just had a look at the koster bushcraft, and its a good looking knife too. I know the Helle is easy to sharpen/maintain, but I've never worked with 3V. 30V though is like titanium to sharpen.

Some steel info for you. http://zknives.com/knives/articles/knifesteelfaq.shtml

I was curious, so I just had a carve with the Helle Steel. Good luck with whatever you decide, its best being a personal choice!

Px2dj.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE