Fuel Hoarding

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
People always panic buy odd things. The fuel strike a few years back the shelves were cleared of bread, yet they still had flour and yeast. bottled water is another one to go, but not sterilisation tabets. Baked beans but not dried. I have only seen veg oil bought in bulk as a deisel replacement, not long term cooking use. Now everyone has cottoned on the price of veg oil is fixed the same as diesel so supermarkets and producers make huge profits.

I feel we are going to see a lot more of this daftness this year. I am off gardening my veg patch.

Biker

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/woman-burned-while-decanting-petrol-091318813.html

We knew it would only be a matter of time. Received 40% burns after decanting petrol from one container to another ... in her kitchen!

Just as the Fire Brigade warned would happen on Wednesday after the PM thoughtlessly suggested people start stockpiling the stuff "just in case".

Wait for the lawyers to crawl out from under their stones...

I would like to know the detail of exactly how it ignited though. It's the same kind of reporting as "the car went out of control...". These things have a specific cause.

Last edited:

Biker

it said on the news that she was decanting it next to a lit cooker

Yup, that'd do it. :(

Point taken Stringmaker, it could have all sorts of reasons behind how she got burnt, and the media being what it is will spin it anyway they can to get a good headline. But if it transpires that it is as Robbi says, it does make you wonder at the intelligence of some people doesn't it? Granted it's sad she got burnt, that goes without saying, but c'mon, surely SOME basic thoughts of "Hmmmm this could be dangerous" should run through people's heads before they do something like this.

Bit like that video on youtube of some fella using his cigarette lighter to see how much petrol was inside the tanker that just arrived to restock the petrol station.

Last edited:

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Yup, that'd do it. :(

Point taken Stringmaker, it could have all sorts of reasons behind how she got burnt, and the media being what it is will spin it anyway they can to get a good headline. But if it transpires that it is as Robbi says, it does make you wonder at the intelligence of some people doesn't it? Granted it's sad she got burnt, that goes without saying, but c'mon, surely SOME basic thoughts of "Hmmmm this could be dangerous" should run through people's heads before they do something like this.

Bit like that video on youtube of some fella using his cigarette lighter to see how much petrol was inside the tanker that just arrived to restock the petrol station.

Oh I'm with you all the way on this one; in fact I was actually going to suggest that she was smoking or doing something equally dumb, but didn't because it would only have been my predjudice.

It seems that I would have been right!

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
thanks to those :censored:.......really nice people panic buying.

I have just had to put £100 in the van which was a whole 66 litres:yikes:

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I haven't seen any queues around here.
Anyone else in Scotland seen any?

yup, just popped out for a look, queued onto the main street, people beeping horns as they go by as they need to cross the white lines. Spoke to the guy in the garage last night after filling up. Had a joke with him that I was "just topping off" he says "aye right, wi' 90 quid!!" He says it's been mental, but the tanker drivers are on overtime to keep up with the demand. The drivers are doing every hour they are allowed to do to see them over the strike. His driver is just hoping they call it over the easter break!

If I run out I'll get the train or cycle or work from home...

cheers

Alan

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I tend to have about a 100lt in 20lt fuel cans just in case and I've got about 140lt of cooking oil so between the two i'll be able to get the landy about ok, especially in the summer with it being warmer. Maybe I should have filled up today when I was in town though, it's 20 miles away from where we live so it's not easy to just chuck in some fuel...

Your not the only one Tony... must be somthing about us Landy Owners......

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
What's going on?
Fuelcompanies trying to get rid of old stock, so they can start to restock fresh fuel again???
A few lines in the media and this is the result?

You can argue all you want, but there was a man who once stated that the masses are dumb.... He was quite right about that.
Sometimes I'm curious what would happen if indeed fuel was to run out.....

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
What's going on?
Fuelcompanies trying to get rid of old stock, so they can start to restock fresh fuel again???
A few lines in the media and this is the result?

You can argue all you want, but there was a man who once stated that the masses are dumb.... He was quite right about that.

It's a lot more than that Ron.

There was a blockade of the refineries here 10 years ago, which the tanker drivers supported. The country literally stopped as in that case the fuel DID run out. It wasn't pretty and people are nervous at the slightest mention of fuel shortages/strikes etc.

We would revert to a stone age society of warring local groups in no time.

Biker

Mass hysteria, men living with animals, raining frogs, pestilence, the dead rising and demanding brainzzzzzzzzz. That sort of thing.

Seriously though, I suppose at this rate we'll get to find out by the end of the weekend, if the panic buying continues.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I had a cunning plan to fill up last night at 11 o'clock on the way home, the nutters were still queuing down the street so I never bothered stopping.

Just less than a quarter of a tank remaining which will be gone this time tomorrow, it'll be a shame if I have to work from home next week :)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
"The fuel she was decanting ignited as she was using the cooker at the time, he said. She was attempting to transfer the petrol from one container to another using a jug."

Darwin was right.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
It's a lot more than that Ron.

There was a blockade of the refineries here 10 years ago, which the tanker drivers supported. The country literally stopped as in that case the fuel DID run out. It wasn't pretty and people are nervous at the slightest mention of fuel shortages/strikes etc.

We would revert to a stone age society of warring local groups in no time.

That strike did largely have the backing of the general populace though, the threat of this one doesn't seem to have the same resonance.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
My wife was working last night. She had to switch the forecourt lights off at home time and they still came in to fill up!

I've seen people today drive round the cones at empty pumps and still try and work the nozzle, only to look perplexed when nothing comes out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE