Frosts Fanclub

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
These knives are a lot stronger than many people think.
I do break an odd one but it's usually when i have been hammering them, sometimes it's easier to use my knife than go and get a chisel :eek:

This one broke when i used it as a lever and bent it past 90 degrees, the handle didn't fail , nor did it show any sign of failing.
A full tang version of the same knife would not have faired any better.

DSC00050.jpg

Try splitting a handle, i have several times and in the end i ran this through a bandsaw to get inside

430_3008_1.jpg

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
The advantage of a full tang is that it is MUCH, MUCH stronger. When a tang is hidden and does not go the full length of the handle, the pressure inside the handle is not uniform, and it tends to split when serious pressure is applied. A full legth hidden tang is better-it will bend more easily than a full tang, but will not split the handle. With a 840 for example, if you are putting pressure on the blade, and at the same time your hand is putting pressure on the back of the handle (exactly what happens when battoning), the blade inside the handle is acting like a lever, splitting it apart.

Have you managed to split the handle on an 840 by bending the blade ?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I've split the handle of a 840 while battoning.

:eek: that is why A/. I dont like battoning and carry an axe for wood splitting....and B/. use a wooden handled (of my own making) Jonssons Mora blade:D
If I was looking for a knife to use for battoning I too would like a full tang model - but then I tend not to batton much even when using my full tang blades....:eek:

rg598

Native
Blade did not bend on mine, it just tore through the handle.

I just don't get why they don't put another 2in of metal in the handle.

The reason why I wish it was full tang is because for me the knife is my primary tool. I always have it on my belt, inlike my axe and saw. That is why I like a robust knife that I can depend on even when I don't have my pack with all the other tools. I would not feel comfortable in the woods with just a 3 or 4 in Mora and no axe. It would be a much more viable option for me if they had a full tang model. The only similar knives with full tang seem to be customs, at 20 times the price of a mora.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Blade did not bend on mine, it just tore through the handle.

I just don't get why they don't put another 2in of metal in the handle.

The reason why I wish it was full tang is because for me the knife is my primary tool. I always have it on my belt, inlike my axe and saw. That is why I like a robust knife that I can depend on even when I don't have my pack with all the other tools. I would not feel comfortable in the woods with just a 3 or 4 in Mora and no axe. It would be a much more viable option for me if they had a full tang model. The only similar knives with full tang seem to be customs, at 20 times the price of a mora.

So were you thumping the spine when it went ?
I have really pushed the clippers but never tested a Mora to destruction, must give it a go.

I rarely batton a knife right through a piece of wood, i usually make a few wedges and only use the knife to start the split, the wedges do all the work, that way you can split massive logs with a little stick tang.
I am reminded of the old saying, " you can scratch your bum without breaking the skin" :D

rg598

Native
Which models? I would love to have a look.

I know that I can get around with a small tang if I had to, but my point was why should we have to do that when it would take maybe another $1 to make a much stronger full tang knife.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Which models? I would love to have a look.

I know that I can get around with a small tang if I had to, but my point was why should we have to do that when it would take maybe another $1 to make a much stronger full tang knife.

Your quite right there is certainly an argument for a full tang or a more substantial mortised tang (Allen Blade used to do some really good ones).
I guess at the end of the day the Frosts knives are not specifically manufactured for bushcrafters who want to batton them is the answer to why they don't make them stronger.
They are made as utility knives and they probably exceed the specs for the tasks they were originally designed to do.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
annother mora lover here.

I use a clipper, and the origional sheath, with some duct tape on the back of the mouth area (the outward side of the belt clip) to improve retention. I also used some thin cord to wrap the handle (mainly because it looks better). while I would love a better sheath, for £10 who's complaining?

Jan 12, 2009
Arkansas, USA
I am a proud owner of several Frosts blades. My orange/orange 760 finished a 200 lb. wild hog, with a little poke to the heart, then skinned, and quartered it, and only needed a bit of a strop to get back to shaving sharp. I love these blades, without a doubt some of the sharpest in my collection.
orange2.jpg

BlueRidge1003.jpg

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Why don't people like the sheaths? I've got a couple of the red wooden handled blades and they're great. You won't find another sheath which holds the blade so well, drains, protects you and the blade and is as light. The sheaths may be on the ugly sidce but they are far more practical than a lot of manufacturers sheaths are.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
Why don't people like the sheaths? I've got a couple of the red wooden handled blades and they're great. You won't find another sheath which holds the blade so well, drains, protects you and the blade and is as light. The sheaths may be on the ugly sidce but they are far more practical than a lot of manufacturers sheaths are.

I don't like them because the retention on them is fairly useless (in the case of the clipper) after a short time of use, the locking bump on the sheath wears down, and youre left with a loosely fitting knife in a sheath that feels none to secure. but that could just be me, my ideal level of retention would allow me to hang it upside-down. my main worry is that I sometimes use it while climbing up stuff that is being built (treehouse style platforms made with pioneering poles for example) and I don't want it dropping out the sheath and hitting someone below.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Ah, right. I've just got the wooden handle ones for bushcraft - the clipper is in the kitchen! No problem with their retention as you have to give it a few violent shakes to get it to move.
Thanks for the reply :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE