Frontier stove or similar

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
Hi all. I'd like a stove for heating and cooking in a British army 12 x 12 tent. Any advice weeks be greatly received.

Seems like the frontier stove is the way forward.

Thanks in advance.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Ever thought of a Swedish Torch..?? good heat and you can cook on it and the flame is at a minimum. not sure if you should shut off the flue though as the thru draft could drag sparks up and onto the tent itself though a small Swedish torch should be fine . maybe others here can help here.?

I'm not a fan of certain stoves in tents...Carbon Monoxide build up is one reason.

On second thoughts 8 feet is kinda low for fire.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
With no prior welding experience I managed to make a stove out of a 7kg butane bottle I found in a hedge and scrap bits and pieces! Total cost of the project was two cans of black BBQ spray paint and a new pair of tracksuit bottoms after I burnt several hundred holes in them from the welding sparks! If I can do it anyone can and it works a treat!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I would look to fit vents at floor level, although the stove is in a box with a flu out the top, the small diameter of the frontiers flu means you can wake up wuth smoke filling the top two thirds of your lavvu. I know this from experiance, when i looked in the stove there were two globs of tar type stuff hanging down from the flu, blocking it sending the smoke through the pot plate on the top. I could see the throuhh draft from the 3 open vents rolling the smoke up towards the open hole in the hat of the lavvu. Cleaning out a hot stove at idiot O'clock in the morning is a very sweary event. :)

The flu had cooled as the fire died down casing the tar to run back down and solidify instead of being burnt off, blown out the top or being liquid enough to drip back in.

I lost a friend in a 12x12 (due to his own mistake i must add) he closed the bottom of the doors and closed the windows to stop the cold draft, with a kerosene heater running inside, he died all nice and warm in what is normally thought of as a drafty tent to be sleeping.

Dont asume the little gaps in the skirt and doors are good enough.

Ensure that if the stove is burning someone's awake.

Last edited:

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Hmm I felt I would be safe if I used a smoke and carbon monoxide alarm.
You would be, but add in a funnel for the gasses to escape and you dont need to worry. Just giving you a heads up as there was a couple if guys fishing here on Lanark Loch a few years ago who ended themselves with carbon Monoxide poisoning running a stove inside a tent. Be Careful.

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
You would be, but add in a funnel for the gasses to escape and you dont need to worry. Just giving you a heads up as there was a couple if guys fishing here on Lanark Loch a few years ago who ended themselves with carbon Monoxide poisoning running a stove inside a tent. Be Careful.
Okay great will do. Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE