From the Souk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
Well, made my 1st post (how did you find BCUK), so here's a bit of an intro..
Wife and I have been living here for 10 yrs now, producing the British Community magazine for the last 6, and spend a lot of time in the desert all over really, Sinai (mainly), around Cairo and more recently the Western Desert (Siwa). Our transport up until now has been a 'motorised roller skate' (Daewoo Matiz), and we've had the odd scrape but always managed to work our way out (usually a case of "that's your job, I'll put the kettle on !!!") without too much twubble...
Really, we have a potfull of stories, too many for here and now, but no doubt they'll dribble out in time. :nana:
Our biggest problem at the moment I would say is getting all our gear in the skate... tent, coolbox, 60ltrs (min) of water, food (usually 4-5 days worth), bedding etc..etc plus two German Shepherds, Skye 7yrs and Arran (her son) 2yrs (mibby yel guess I'm a Jock !!) in the back for that little extra security.... :pack:
We should have a fully re-con (EVERYTHING) LWB series 3 Land Rover arriving in the next few weeks, and our first planned trip will be south-west from Cairo to Bahariya Oasis, camp overnight then on straight across the desert, camping one or two nights to Siwa, where some Egyptian friends are building a new eco-lodge - no lecky, loud music, lighting from oil lamps, etc..etc., although they DO have gas for water heating. Accommodation is chalets built and decorated in the local style. Lovely place, and really peaceful (except when 'the dugz' spot any of the local wildlife !!##!!
Anyways, I'll sign off before you get too bored.
By the way, if anybody happens to be taking a trip this way and needs any advice or info.... nae problem!!

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Welcome to BCUK! :wave: Sounds like you have a really interesting trip planned! :biggthump

Look out - I'm sure you'll get lots of questions! :eek:):
:pack:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Hiya and welcome aboard. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time there..... feel free to use the journal section of this site..... I'm sure alot would be interested in reading your exploits.

:biggthump
Ed

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
Ed said:
Hiya and welcome aboard. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time there..... feel free to use the journal section of this site..... I'm sure alot would be interested in reading your exploits.

Ed
Hi Ed,
Fanx for the welcome - where's the 'Journal section'?
Had a 'phone call last night - the Landy is finished, all bar seat recovering, so should be taking a trip up to Alex. next Friday (Ensha' Allah...) to take delivery :super: Then I'll be fitting double size fuel tanks, water tank on the roof with shower attachment, dog guard inside and we'll be off!!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Fanx for the welcome - where's the 'Journal section'?
For some strange reason journals on the internet are called 'bloggs' :-? You can access them by the drop down menu at the top of the page, or by the 'bushcraft bloggs' subforum (under bushcraft chatter). Its quite a new feature thats just getting off the ground....

Awaiting reading your exploits ;-)

Ed

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Ed said:
For some strange reason journals on the internet are called 'bloggs' :-? Ed

"Blog" is a shortened version of "Web-log"

Oh and welcome Cairodel. I look forward to visiting your continent next month. I've never been to North Africa before and am looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Martin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE