Frogs! Lots of them.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Took the dog for a walk along the canal tonight as usual, but ended up having to keep the torch on all the time. I usually walk by natural light, but tonight there were frogs all over the towpath and in the water, and lots of singing was going on. Just saw two pairs, and one single large female. The rest were all males. There was a small amount of frogspawn about.

Nice to see, and nicer to hear, since I haven't heard frogs calling for some years.

Only problem is, all I can think of now is this:
[video=youtube;PcDVH8DiBnM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcDVH8DiBnM[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
"shivers" yuk two of the things I can't stand the most. Paul McCartney and Rupert the Bear.

As George Carlin said, the Beatles are dying in the wrong order.

Falcn

Mar 1, 2013
Dinnington
My frogs appeared in my pond last Friday and the first ball of spawn was found Sunday morning.

The pond is just outside my workshop/shed window, a fantastic thing to watch and listen to whilst sitting with a cuppa and the smell of freshly cut western red cedar hanging in the air.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Now if a certain Beatle were to be found face down in the water... :ThinkingoBut I fear he would either try to part the waters or think he could walk on them. (Time for bed I think, I'm begining to get hostile feelings).

Getting feedback about frozen frog spawn down this way. Helped line a big pond last Saturday and there were 8 mating individuals in the hole that morning before we had lined it and filled it with water! Crazy fools. We moved them to a nearby hyberniculum hopefully to make their way back later. Any idea if they will spawn again to keep numbers up if the spawn has frozen/died?

Book for those interested: Britain's Reptiles and Amphibians by Howard Inns. I am a complete WILDGuides convert. I've got the Butterfly and the Dragonfly guide too. Not long now fluttery ones! Those are proper field guides in my opinion. Mind you the Lewington family can paint a thing or two. :rolleyes:.........hc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE