Friday afternoon at the rock houses. (pic heavy!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Dunno how I managed to miss this thread. Fascinating place. Rumour has it that it is still used by weird folks teaching room clearance drills. The houses were in use up until the fifties. Sadly the rock became unstable and folks had to move out. It's quite weird that I walk past that place almost everyday when surveying (the common in the background is where I monitor adders), and never really noticed how extensive they were. I'm pretty familiar with the other rock caves and houses and even the ones well hidden from the public. But those escaped me.

Found any info on the climbing yet? Strange well too, be great to get down there.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
those rockhouses are called Vale's Rock, a few hundred yards north is another rock house called Nanny's Rock, i know them extremely well (and have climbed them both in the past, climbing not allowed on them anymore though), the most well known rockhouse is Holy Austin of course but you have to pay now to see that one, there are loads of these rockhouses dotted about the kinver/bridgnorth/bewdley areas some not so well known and they make an interesting day of discovery to find the less well known ones, of the more well known ones are blackstone rock caves which was used i believe as some sort of storage during the war, redstone rockhouses at stourport, the hermitage at bridgnorth, there are some less well known ones at apley park near bridgnorth on both sides of the river and at eastham by habberley valley, the underground tunnels used to do a guided tour of them some years ago.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE