French 24hr Ration Pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Got hold of a French 24hr Ration Pack so thought I would show what is in it.

The box is 30 x 16 x 7.5 cm (l,w,h) and comes wrapped in plastic. The menu is in both French and English on the box so making it easier to see what you have got in it.
Mine is Menu 3.

IMG_20120727_205951.jpg

Pull tab to open:

IMG_20120727_210103.jpg

Contents

IMG_20120727_210142.jpg

List of contents:

IMG_20120727_210415.jpg

1. Poultry Tabbouleh
  2. Lamb Stew and Vegtables
  3. Salted and Sweet Biscuits
  4. Tissues
  5. Sardines Fillets
  6. Processed Cheese
  7. Fruit Jelly
  8. Muesli
  9. Caramels
  10. Nougat
  11. Soup
  12. Powder Drink
  13. Chocolate Bar
  14. Reheating Kit
  15. Brew Kit

Brew Kit:

IMG_20120727_210701.jpg

1. Coffee
  2. Hot Chocolate
  3. Green Tea with mint
  4. Sugar
  5. Salt and Pepper

Reheating Kit:
IMG_20120727_211133.jpg

1. Box
  2. Matches
  3. Fuel tablets
  4. Water Purifying Tablets
  5. Refuse Bag
  6. Gripping Lever
  7. stove

I'm quite impressed with this so far but I have yet to try and eat it. I will update this thread when I do.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I've had a couple of these rations from Surplus & Outdoors at Kidderminster just to compare. I opened one to have a look at the contents and was very impressed with the contents and decided to try one item, as you do, then another. Anyway one binge later I now have one ration pack left. The food is nice and varied with a continental slant such that I now canoe on the right;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That looks very nice - more so than the modern rat pack I would say - and better quality than the old compo tins

BigM

Forager
Jul 2, 2009
The West
Can I preempt the reviewer and tell you that French rat packs are delicious. I ate dozens of them when serving in Chad and they were a welcome change from our own ones. There's some lovely tuna and pasta salad and other things. I was told that they used to come with some cigarettes, but that's no longer the case. Anyway, thumbs up for the French ration pack.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Not as good as the old French packs, they had a quarter bottle of wine in them :)

i think you'll find the wine is issued separately! there were french rations that used to come with a pack of unfiltered cigarrettes and a wee bottle of brandy if that's what you're thinking of.....

the trick with the barquettes (main meal dish) is not to open it too early in the cooking process. especially in cold weather. dig a wee trench with the heel of your boot, light your esbit block, or two, and drop it in the hole. (use a couple of pebbles if the ground's too frozen to dig, you may need a separate windbreak.) cook the barquette like a steak. keep turning it over every few minutes. give it a shake to let the heated sauce permeate round the inside of the can. then when your esbit is almost burnt down to nothing, carefully peel back the lid, be wary of jets of escaping steam. give it a final stir.

failure to comply with the above instructions will result in a burnt patch of food in the bottom centre of the can whilst food in the ends is still frozen solid!

the field biscuits used to be called pain de guerre. i spose "war-bread" is insufficiently PC nowadays!

is that an actual esbit stove in there? or just the blocks? back in my day we never used to get the stove, :( we just had to demerde. :lmao:

cheers, and.

Last edited:

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Ah urban myth eh!
The packs I have a foldable stove esbit tablets and a little meal tin holder/handle.
I don't use the esbit stove preferring to heat in boiling water before opening.
The two flavours of biscuit are more-ish.
Alan

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I always thought green tea was an american favourite rather than french.

No. We always thought it was an Oriental thing. The favorite American tea is sweetened (to a syruppy sweet) ice tea served in pint sized glasses and with a bottomless re-fill.

Jun 18, 2012
lower alabama
Hey fellows Iam for the south and we believe in our sweet tea ice cold but not syruppy you wouldnt believe how great it teast after cutting grass in temps in the 90s and humitiy in the 80s then setting on the front poarch and enjoying the tea and breeze.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Bitterly disappointed, was hoping for a bottle of Chateau-Neuf Du Pape, a tin of Fois Gras and a crusty stick with some Brie!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE