Freezerbag cooking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i have used dried arctic ration in norway and found that they get cold if you leave them to long to soak as per the destructions.
doil in the bag for me every time for winners........

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Have I? Thanks for summing up for me but there are more than one point some of which I made and some I have not made, yet. I was on topic too as you named it "Freezerbag cooking". And a final thank you for your overwhelming concern for others' health. :)

Mate, watch your step, I don't know you but i do know that if you carry on like this and you treat a friendly request from a mod this way again you'll be looking elsewhere for your audience.

Breeze

Dec 7, 2009
london
Mate, watch your step, I don't know you but i do know that if you carry on like this and you treat a friendly request from a mod this way again you'll be looking elsewhere for your audience.

I am not used to places where people try to warn each other because someone replied logically and ethically to those trying to stop free discussion about topic related health risks. You can have it if is your way of being as it is obvious from your tone, it's not my style to live on my knees though. Good bye to the forum. :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I am not used to places where people try to warn each other because someone replied logically and ethically to those trying to stop free discussion about topic related health risks. You can have it if is your way of being as it is obvious from your tone, it's not my style to live on my knees though. Good bye to the forum. :)

Well, if you had replied logical and ethically, respecting where you are rather than square up to a polite request from someone that i've asked to moderate, there would be no issues and you would not now be full of pride and saying goodbye, but as it's good bye's, Bye :sulkoff:

Last edited:

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I use the roasting bags to make boil in the bag cake.

I use supermarket own brand sponge mix, add the rquired egg to the mix, in the roasting bag. Squish around to mix up and place in a billy of boiling water.

1 hour later - cake!

To be truly decadant - add jam or syrup at the mixing stage - but be careful not to burn yourself on it, as I find it impossible to let it cool down before eating!

Simon

And very nice it is too, Simon - a real luxury in camp! :)

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Just make sure you get all of the air out of bag before tying it off, and leave plenty of space for expansion.

Like I said, preparing a meal and then dehydrating it is the way to go. I really can not tell the difference between the meal straight from the pot and one that I prepared out in the bush by adding hot water to it a few weeks later.

One important point is to make all the ingredients small. Think adzuki beans rather than fava beans. Think ground beef rather than 1" cubes of meat. The larger stuff is, the more difficult it is to dehydrate, and consequently rehydrate.

As for it not being “pure bushcraft” enough – yeah whatever.

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
Has anyone tried these (as a precursor to reheating in a poly bag...)

http://www.ezidridehydrators.com.au/

I've read good things about them (I think Backpacking guru Chris Townsend recommended them)

I've often used commercially available meals from Norway, quite pricey but additive free. I do concern myself with what goes into my body, despite opinion earlier in the thread!

Jay

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I've been toying with the idea of making leavened bread for bannock in a freezer bag.

I'd chuck the flour, yeast, salt, sugar and maybe some suet in a freezer bag in the required proportions and take it to camp.

At camp, I'd add water to the mix and give it a good mix in the bag, maybe take it out and kneed it for a bit too. To get the bread to rise I'd keep the bag inside my shirt for an hour or two to keep it warm.

Then take it out, shape it in the pan/ billy/ dutchy, leave it reprove by the fire and then roast as you would any other bannock.

might be a lot of hassle for nothing though... :dunno:

EDIT: Actually, I think cooking it flat like a Naan or a Pitta on a hot flat rock by the fire would work best.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I do it that way Rob, everything from bread, cheese scones to gingernuts. It works very well :approve: and saves a lot of bother with bags of flour, etc. Especially if you're going lightweight. Excellent for herby dumplings going into the stew :)
I find the bread is actually better if you can get it into a pot or billy and then get that into the polybag to let it rise, keeps it moist and you can use the one rise quick cook yeast that way too. Even my gluten and dairy free stuff works :cool:
Naan's cook really well on a cast iron frying pan on the fire........Mischief is just brilliant at them :D :notworthy:

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE