Fox and Crow Carcasses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Due to an unfortunate meeting with a car (not mine) I am now in posession of a Fox carcass and the fresh Crow carcass it was carrying.

I am going to tan the Fox pelt and keep some Feathers from the Crow. But I would also like to extract the skeletons of both creatures as cleanly as possible so that my little boys school can display them in the science class for the kids.

Can anyone advise me of the best and most efficient/clean way to do this?

Also is there anything else I should be harvesting? Sinew? Will there be much on a fox?

Thanks in advance

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
I would skin the fox and take the feathers that you wanted then burry the animals in an area you can keep an eye on making sure they don't get dug up by other animals. This will take awhile to decompose the quick option is a shed you plan on not using and letting the bot fly's get the bodies.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Thank you, Unfortinately the fox cant be saved, while I was skinning it I found that the skull was broken into around 20 odd pieces even though the head looked pretty good from the outside. One side of ribs were also completely caved in. I have a pretty decent pelt now though and my little boy enjoyed helping and has claimed a couple K9 teeth as his own.

Is there any way I can do something with the feet? Or is it best to just be done with them?

The bird I will do exactly what you say. Thank you again.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The crow. I'd save 2 things =
1. The wing and tail primary feathers in matched pairs. The fiber curves are mirror image.
2. The cape = the patch of skin and feathers from the top of the head down the neck to about between the wings.
Once again, nearly symmetrical pairs of little feathers can be picked off for decorations and fly-tying.

Would you be challenged for posession?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, both fox and crow are often shot here as pests.

Do you have a compost bin ValeTudoGuy ? If you have, and it's worm worked, then putting the carcases into it can have them rendered down to skeletons pdq at this time of year.
The other way is simply to bury them, very shallowly, in the garden and let the soil insects get on with it. Don't go deep, more than six inches down will really slow things up enormously.

M

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
The wife went crazy when I mentioned it. Haha

I thought better of it after my telling off. :lmao:

Edit: her lasagne looked tastier too and the fox had been sat in a plastic bag in my boot for half the day. Im sure I wouldn't have died.... But im hardly starving.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Nah. Don't eat road kill. Not unless you slugged it with your own vehicle and it is still warm.
The Dermestid beetle wings will stick in your teeth.
Challenge: we even have to have a valid hunting licence to posess road kill ( "Property of the Crown, " and all that)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Flying Fox? As in the FF bat that Nigel was eating? Just needed more garlic!
Cook your umbrella over an open fire. Eat it.

Haha, good memory :cool:

I guess i should have said 'paraphrase' rather than 'quote'

As i remember it mr dundee was talking about iguana at the time

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE