Four dogs titanium stove ultralight 1 Refurbish.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I managed to wangle a four dogs titanium stove, with 6 pieces of flue. Total Weight 3.3kg.

Steel legs and steel air intake door. Titanium flue 3" Diameter

Rust on all the steel components, including the nuts, bolts and legs. Going to buy all new nuts and bolts, wire brush the rivets.

Im gonna strip it down, and sand all the rust off the steel parts, then spray with 800˚C black stove spray.

Really love how airtight this stove is. No gaps anywhere. Just need a couple of galvanised steel elbows [one spare]

Burn off the galvanisation.

attachment.php

I'll post the finished product.

Attachments

• IMG_6402.jpg
    IMG_6402.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Nuts and bolts badly rusted, with blob of weld on them, had to grind, carefully, bit of hacksaw, and hammer and punch, got it all apart.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0695.jpg
    IMG_0695.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 220

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive put all the flues and the stove in a bath with a lot of dishwasher and soda crytals, to soak overnight. [Not caustic soda. I only use that to dispose of my enemies]
Theres a lot of tar in the flues.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Will look forward to updates. Like Tengu I love to see things restored

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Took off the rusty stel parts, the stove door and legs, and left them in a tub of vinegar and a can of coke for two weeks. Cleared off all the rust, then sprayed with black stove paint, and heated in oven at 220˚ for 25 minutes.

The rivets are corroded, but they will stay put, so I'll live with them. Added new stainless steel nuts and bolts, and after this winter I may replace the steel rivets.

Having to spray mount sandpaper to a drainpipe to clear out the thick cresote from the flues. Jus awaiting galvanised elbows from the states now, will burn the glavanised finish off, before I use it in tent. Looks smart now.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0722.jpg
    IMG_0722.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 138

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
How much creosote build up is there Dave? Not too much I guess if you think sanding it off is an option.
i picked up a second hand frontier stove which is caked. Suspect it been burning under seasoned softwood. Reckon my only hope of cleaning it is to get the stove good and hot with some well seasoned hardwood and try and burn it off, using only a couple of sections of flue at a time so they get nice and hot - obviously outside, not in a tent. Unless anyone on here has a better solution for shifting a pretty major build up - advice welcome.

The stove looks great by the way - good work - feel stove envy coming on!!

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
How much creosote build up is there Dave? Not too much I guess if you think sanding it off is an option.
i picked up a second hand frontier stove which is caked. Suspect it been burning under seasoned softwood. Reckon my only hope of cleaning it is to get the stove good and hot with some well seasoned hardwood and try and burn it off, using only a couple of sections of flue at a time so they get nice and hot - obviously outside, not in a tent. Unless anyone on here has a better solution for shifting a pretty major build up - advice welcome.

I fitted a wire brush(the type used with an electric drill) to a length of threaded rod and ran that up and down the inside of my flue sections.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia

Thankyou. There are some cheap chemical options, If you google creosote remover uk, you'll probably find them. They didnt look very good to me. JB's idea is probably best. Theres not a thick layer in mine, but its rock hard. Im using 150 grit paper. Its getting over half off.

I got a frontier stove when they first started selling them on ebay. He was accepting best offers of £70. Then they shot up in price within a few months.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE