Forestry Commission application forms

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
does anyone have any experience or knowledge in filling these things out? The bit I'm struggling with is that Quals, experience, skills and abilities bit, where it asks you, under the communication section, to demonstrate a time where you have actively listened and asked questions to check understanding.

I meanm, what does this mean? It's something we all do virtually every day. What sort of thing do they want you to say?

rant, rant, moan, moan.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
pocket CV:

couple of years as an apprentice toolmaker. Couple of years in the army. Then Uni, then last 12 as an accountant. Spent the last 2 years first as an FTV for the NT, then at college doing Countryside Management.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
"demonstrate a time where you have actively listened and asked questions to check understanding."

For example:

"When attending a lecture on Land management I asked the lecturer a question on the valid use of crop rotation in regards to land management. This enabled me to fully understand the effects of heavy use of crop fields on the ecosystem"

Last edited:

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
"demonstrate a time where you have actively listened and asked questions to check understanding."

For example:

"When attending a lecture on Land management I asked the lecturer a question on the valid use of crop rotation in regards to land management. This enebled me to fully understand the effects of heavy use of crop fields"

that simple?!? Bloody hell, I've spent the last half hour agonising over that. Cheers dude, I owe you one.

ganstey

Settler
does anyone have any experience or knowledge in filling these things out? The bit I'm struggling with is that Quals, experience, skills and abilities bit, where it asks you, under the communication section, to demonstrate a time where you have actively listened and asked questions to check understanding.

I meanm, what does this mean? It's something we all do virtually every day. What sort of thing do they want you to say?

rant, rant, moan, moan.

Errmmm... sort of what it says really. As you said, it's what most of us do all the time, but they are looking for specific examples. So, hypothetically, you may have been on a spoon carving course, but asked the tutor about specific styles of spoons, which you then went on to use to produce a new style of spoon that is now being used in spoon carving text books :D

With all of the questions, they don't just want you to say "yes I can do this", but to cite examples of where you've put it into practice.

One tip: Cite an example of, or explain fully, everything that they ask for under required/desirable skills & experience, without lying of course :rolleyes: In order to decide who to call for interview they use a pure and simple points scoring system. If you forget to cover something you won't get any points for it and this may make the difference between being called for interview or not.

What job are you applying for? Good luck with it anyway. I started working for the FC back in August.

G

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
forest craftperson in west cumbria.

Thanks for your advice, I see what you mean about ticking every box. I made a right hash of a job I applied for down in the New Forest as I didn't do that at all. I have no experience of filling out these sorts of application forms before. How many examples should I give for each scenario? I've only done one for each, should I include more?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

Thanks for your advice, I see what you mean about ticking every box. I made a right hash of a job I applied for down in the New Forest as I didn't do that at all. I have no experience of filling out these sorts of application forms before. How many examples should I give for each scenario? I've only done one for each, should I include more?

If it's anything like probation application forms then one liners won't do.

As people have said use personal examples to answer the question and think about transferrable skills, e.g using pc's, don't think just about using them at work, if you use them at home say that and what for.

ganstey

Settler

Excellent! Good luck with it.

I would say at least one, but make them interesting and relevant. "I have a lot of experience of listening because I've been at school for the last 10 years" isn't going to help your cause. "Having listened to a lecture on climate change, I wrote a critique which was published in the Camberwick Green parish newsletter." is much better.

If you have several relevant examples, then by all means use all of them, but don't create some just for the sake of it.

Give me a shout if you need any more help.
G

deenewcastle

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2009
Newcastle upon Tyne
I couldn't agree more with the examples already offered :) Often it's the lack of being able to simplify things so that the meaning can be 'communicated', that lets people down when discussing communication skill. You asked about how many examples you should give. The answer was in the question really. You quoted it as "where it asks you, under the communication section, to demonstrate a time where you have actively listened and asked questions to check understanding". I've added the emphasis for you. This literally means "give one example". Your answer should ideally be relevant to the post - the one about land use rotation was brilliant, and, I was always taught, short and pithy! (sic: brief, but to the point!).

As an aside, do you need to have relevant experience for working with the FC? When last weeks announcement came about extra trees, I have this strange urge to consider a career change :(

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
I couldn't agree more with the examples already offered :) Often it's the lack of being able to simplify things so that the meaning can be 'communicated', that lets people down when discussing communication skill. You asked about how many examples you should give. The answer was in the question really. You quoted it as "where it asks you, under the communication section, to demonstrate a time where you have actively listened and asked questions to check understanding". I've added the emphasis for you. This literally means "give one example". Your answer should ideally be relevant to the post - the one about land use rotation was brilliant, and, I was always taught, short and pithy! (sic: brief, but to the point!).

got you. I've more or less completed it now, just gotta make it more pithy:lmao:

As an aside, do you need to have relevant experience for working with the FC? When last weeks announcement came about extra trees, I have this strange urge to consider a career change

I spent just over a year as a full time volunteer for the national trust, working on their ashridge estate.

ganstey

Settler
As an aside, do you need to have relevant experience for working with the FC? When last weeks announcement came about extra trees, I have this strange urge to consider a career change :(

Depends on the position you are applying for. You may have skills from another sector that is relevant to the position. If you go for a trainee or assistant post, then they may only be looking for academic qualifications.

At the end of the day, like every other employer, they will select the person they think will be best for the job. So, as long as you have more relevant experience than everybody else who applies, you'll get the job :D

Also remember that just because it's the Forestry Commission, you don't have to be a forester to work for them. They also employ accountants, HR staff, marketing, project managers, tutors etc.

G

G

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE