Foraging and making Fruit Leather, jelly and syrup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I managed to grab some of the usual seasonal goodies off the hedges and trees recently.
Just a quick forage in-between other jobs, and some basic cooking back home in the kitchen, but its great to get stuck in instead of walking on by.

More in the blog http://woodsmancrafts.blogspot.co.uk/

Going to have a bash at acorn flour and coffee next time, and a few wines if I get my finger out in time.

Addo :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I managed to grab some of the usual seasonal goodies off the hedges and trees recently.
Just a quick forage in-between other jobs, and some basic cooking back home in the kitchen, but its great to get stuck in instead of walking on by.

More in the blog http://woodsmancrafts.blogspot.co.uk/

Going to have a bash at acorn flour and coffee next time, and a few wines if I get my finger out in time.

Addo :)

Those are cracking photos. Gives me a glow of "winter preparedness and satisfaction" just looking at them. The colours look great promising all sorts of tasty treats, like all the bowls/containers too.

Been foraging a bit myself and it's always a lovely feeling.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks guys, glad you like.

I'd like to make loads more preserves to last a few months when I get the chance, its great fun getting out on a chilly day for a walk and forage and then cooking up back at base. Eating it is jolly good fun too :)

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Foraging and preserving is very satisfying. You have your loot in very attractive containers in the first picture!

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks, shame not to use them as I made them for that purpose and it seems silly to leave them on a shelf.
I want to make loads more baskets, especially for collecting more wild food, and cooking inside them also, but its yet another thing to crack! :)

whale_omelette

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2010
north
would someone be able to tell me what the purple berries in the photograph are and are there any other similar looking berries that are poisonous?
there are a LOT of them about at the moment.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
would someone be able to tell me what the purple berries in the photograph are and are there any other similar looking berries that are poisonous?
there are a LOT of them about at the moment.
If you mean these they are Elderberries,
Look it up in a book or on the web. Can't think of anything native that you could confuse it with here's a link to the Wiki page, have a wee look at some shrub/tree ID sites to get yourself familiar. LINK

Good luck, they are tasty and the flowers can be used earlier in the year too. Elderflower fritters...Scrummy.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
It might be possible to confuse elderberries with the berries of dogwood, but you'd really have to be not paying attention.

Great haul there today.

My only contribution is rather odd. I found a wild strawberry today. In flower, and in fruit. In October! Most odd.
10233824393_7ecb92a35f_b.jpg

10233819303_db2cbc863b_b.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Funnily enough though all the other raspberries are gone I came across one plant today with three small rasps left. And very tasty too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I grow the Autumn fruiting varieties :) I'm still picking about quarter a pound a day just now. I think I'm up to about 3kgs in the freezer :D

If anyone wants a cutting, shout out, and I'll pot up a root. Lovely fruits, late harvest, I don't even stake the canes and they seem to survive fine.

cheers,
M

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I think I'll have to check my wild strawberry patch later on Harvestman. The pictures look good.
It might have been all that late warm weather, but odd like you say.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE