For sale: all of our forests. Not some of them, nor most of them – the whole lot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
And that's mince too; and it still doesn't mean the Queen owns's it :rolleyes:

Back to the thread.
Toddy

so who does it belong too then ??? The NCB was what ?? national coal board !! nationalized by who ??? the government perhaps !!! Her Majesties Government even ???

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The National Coal Board became the repository of all the little mining companies before Nationalisation :rolleyes: Since the mining industry is so contracted from it's former 'glory', much of the accumulation of 'rights' have been passed to local councils.
One can buy the mineral rights to an area, but it's a big area. There's no way they want to have to deal with mineral rights on a house to house (gawd help them under a towerblock) basis.
Companies regularly buy and sell these large area rights.
In Scotland just now it's for gold mining. Landowners of big land parcels generally do own the mineral rights to their lands as well.

Toddy

Big_bazza99

Nomad
Nov 8, 2008
North Yorks
Surely the only issue is if the land ceases to be managed in a sustainable way, replanting after the mature wood has been harvested. Any commercial concern would not survive for long if they try to take a short term gain without planting for the future - I would imagine that the capital outlay over a 2 year period would be far in excess of the return on the wood. I also think that the more mature (and aged) woodland should remain protected (believe this was part of the original proposal - from a previous thread that covered this).

I am very fortunate, having recently purchased 7.5 acres of woodland which I intend to properly manage - currently overplanted and unmanaged, but contains an excellent range of oak, birch, beech, holly and scots pine (and some fabulous mushrooms, blackberries and deer). I am also looking at what bird life is in the woods and will be looking to try to encourage additional species.

hogstable

Forager
Nov 18, 2004
sheffield
Very enlightened Bazza, wish there were more like that. I was chatting to the Forestry people in the summer before the spending review came out and they were saying they were planting more broad leaf species for log burners etc. Not sure if private companies would think like that though, fast ish buck I reckon.

Just another case of selling off the family silver, won't be political on this one but very annoyed at it all.

Grayfox

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
North West Lancashire
taken from guardian.co.uk - For sale: all of our forests. Not some of them, nor most of them – the whole lot:

Well this is good news for me as I'm thinking of buying a wood. However If they're only selling it off in lots of hundreds or thousands of acres then that may stretch my budget a little beyond breaking point.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE