For my wife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wolfshead

Jun 21, 2008
Kibblesworth
Don't quite know if I should do this or even which section to put it in but here goes, Last week at the gathering my son, a friend and I were sitting round the fire at our camp. The kids and our other friend had been asleep for a while. We'd had a good day and were back at the site having a few beers and chatting about the days events and what we were going to do tomorrow. Then, at 1-49am on the 19th of August I received a phone call to say my wife of 40 years had died. To say I was shocked is an understatement of the highest order as her death was totally unexpected. I spent the next few hours in a sort of trance walking round the campsite listening to the chatter and watching the clouds. Once daylight broke I roused the guys and we broke camp then made the journey of 330 miles back home. That journey was the longest and most harrowing of my life. Her funeral is tomorrow and the grief is still an open wound that I feel will never heal.
looking back to that night I think that being in the woods was a help at the time and the serenity of the night helped through those long hours till daybreak. God forbid if I had been at an airport or on holiday at the time. I was with my son, grandkids and friends who continue to support me throughout this time. I suppose what I am trying to say is that my love of the woods has helped me and I plan on going out again today. I feel that I have a stronger relationship with nature now and apart from being by her side at the time, there is no other place I would rather have been. I never would have thought in a million years that I would be using bushcraft for a form of counselling, but life deals some strange cards. For anyone who reads this spare a thought for my wife, Dianne, the brightest star that ever shone.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I am so sorry to hear of the loss your wife Dianne.

You and your family have my deepest sympathies and my thoughts are with you during this most difficult of times.

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
That's really moving and I'm truly sorry for your loss. I believe that having a special place or environment that can offer so much comfort, or help to channel passion or positive emotion, is going to be a great help in what is bound to be a difficult time. You will most likely gain the most by sharing it with those that are closest to you.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't think I have words to say that would offer comfort.

It must feel like half yourself has been ripped away and we can only give condolancies and our kindest wishes.
Very glad that the natural world has, and is, offering it's solace, and if your family were with you when it happened then they will surely understand.

Heartfelt sympathy.

Mary

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My thoughts are with you.
I do not find it strange that the woods help you; when my mother died I found getting out in the wilds realy helped me get my self back on an even keel again.
I still go to the wilds to get the peace I need in times of stress.
You and your family have my deepest sympathies for your loss.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
It's a terrible blow and getting that phone call is devastating, I have had that twice, I imagine you have great memories, with you in heart, mate.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
May the woods always bring you peace and tranquility, my deepest condolences to you and your family.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, I `do` know how you feel.

My Mother died very suddenly twenty or so years ago. Its very shocking if you have no time to prepare.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
so sorry for your loss can't imagine how you are feeling but pleased you are getting some comfort in being out in the woodlands

andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE