Footwear choice for snow/icey weather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Overlander30

Tenderfoot
Oct 10, 2009
Lancashire
Sorel Caribous.

Not had them long but boy they're warm. Even standing in deep snow for long periods youre feet just dont get cold at all, and I get cold at there mereset whiff of snow. I had them up on the north yorkshire moors on boxing day and was waist deep in snow at some points, waiting to tow a stuck landrover, they're definitely the best snow/cold weather boots I've ever had. Not particularly expensive either (as boots go)

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I recently bought a pair of 'muck boot taks' they are really designed as equestrian wellies, for mucking out and whatnot but are great for walking and canoeing too.

Not super grippy on ice but gloriously warm and comfortable, compared to ordinary wellies. Add a set of those stud things and they'll go anywhere:D

R.B.

Jock

Forager
Feb 26, 2009
East Kilbride
I wouldn't be without my YAKTRAX Pros now I haven't fallen once since I got them for myself & family. You can wear them with mos types of footwear. The only drawback I found is if you go inside & don't remove them (they dont like a smooth tiled surface)

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
I wouldn't trade my british army cold weather boots for anything.
Ultra comfy, speed lacing, give support with freedom of movement, thinsulate, gore tex, toasty warm, even better with an insole inside, and they were broken in in a matter of hours.
Highly recommended.

http://www.cadetdirect.com/order1.php?pg=57

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
I have a pair of boots fitted with ‘Skywalk’ soles; I was shocked when I took them to deal with some icy conditions and found them to have absolutely no grip. They are fine in snow or mud where you can get grip, but for ice or slippery rock, forget it.

However I have some lightweight Clarkes ‘boots’ which from new, effectively have no tread pattern on the sole at all, i.e. they are smooth soles…….and yet they grip the ice pretty well.
In other words I have found for rubber/plastic soles the grip in these conditions is not necessarily improved by the sole tread pattern but more by the actual composition of the sole itself.

I’ve looked for another pair like this but alas they were old stock when I bought them years ago.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Walking technique is also another thing that helps.
Normally I have a very long striding gait, but in the ice I have to remind myself that small steps are a better option.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Walking technique is also another thing that helps.
Normally I have a very long striding gait, but in the ice I have to remind myself that small steps are a better option.

Once upon a time, in a dojo far far away I learnt a technique for running on ice. Basically it is a rolling step, with very short strides, slightly bent knees, and the body weight balanced at all times. It is surprisingly efficient, even one looks somewhat silly[1], but being the only one that (a) catches the bus, and (b) does not slip and fall on the sheet of clear ice is worth it.

[1] Not quite John Cleese DoSW level, though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE