Food you wish you hadn't taken Bushcrafting.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Not personaly but if you asked a mate of mine he would say Camp coffee. Couple of us went away camping for the weekend and we thought it might be a laugh to substitute his Camp coffee for gravy browning, much to our amusement he spent the whole weekend complaining that there was something wrong with the water we were getting from the stream. Its amazing the amount of powdered milk he went through aswell trying to get a tidy cup

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
it wasnt so much i wish i hadn't taken it, its more i wish i had no forgoten i hadnt eaten it all when i got home and left it in my bag (i actually took it as a passenger on a further trip and still didnt realise what i had done) for 3 and a half weeks..

...it was a pack of bacon :togo:

Dried mango is lovely though :)

I did that. It was a pair of kippers though, bought on a whim at Whitby. They were in the bottom of my rucksack, back in the cupboard under the stairs, completely forgotten about. It took weeks of searching to find out what the smell was.

Eric

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Have you ever taken some food with you that you thought would be great but turned into a nightmare...

For me it was the first time I'd tried a fresh mango. Don't get me wrong, I love mango, especially the dried stuff but on this occasion I was stocking up at the local supermarket when I noticed they had fresh mangoes. I'd never seen one before ( It was a while ago now.)

Must try one of those I thought.

So, miles from anywhere, limited water and no soap, I discover that the only safe place to eat a really ripe mango is in the bath with the shower on.

In case any of you are wondering, mangoes are really juicy and very sticky. It took me the rest of the trip to get my hands "unsticky" by which time just about everything I had handled was sticky too.

Great fruit but only take the dried stuff bushcrafting.

Just take a NBC suit next time ;)

First wild camping trip out when was a youngster, I carried a serious amount of food, tins galore, and 5L of water and we ended up camping next to a reservoir :eek:

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
Before the days of ring pull cans one of my mates filled his water bottle with a pop drink. This particular bottle had a cork stopper covered by a screw on cap that served as a cup. After a morning’s hike he unscrewed the cap. All members of the patrol were within range. :eek: Pop is quite sticky when its spread over a shirt in hot weather.

Seen on a loose MRE pouch in a surplus shop, an improvised sticky label “Not for use on covert ops.” The meal; chicken balti of course.

I recently tried some supermarket own brand cuppa soups thinking they would be handy.

I must say they were absolutely rank. :tongue-ti

I’ve found Waitrose own brand ones good. :)

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
I have introduced SWMBO to 'bacon grill'. It used to be in a small tin in the very out of date rat packs we used to get at school (the old ones in a 4" waxed cardboard cube). Sliced and fried... Yum!

On the other hand when I went away with my son earlier in the year we took the hobo stove and some dried food. One packet of tomato pasta mix from a supermarket 'Value' range tasted OK. We also tried a pack of fancier fresh ravioli which had to be buried. Really not very nice at all!

Cheers,
Steve

cheapeats

Forager
Feb 20, 2008
New England
It is a toss up US Army Beans and Hotdogs (frankfurters) or Ham and egg omlet MRE. The package is labeled not for pre or in flight use. Thank god for the all of the extra stuff they come with. Luckily it was1 day trial runs with both of them as nobody would trade and even with a couple of bottles of tabasco they were still damn nasty.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I tried that omlet MRE - it realy did live up to the inturpretation of "MRE" as "Meals Rejected by Ethiopians"......realy grim!

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
A friend of mine got a stack of dehydrated food pouches for pennies, as they were close to the best before date. They were not nice. A little crunchy.

And another friend brought along a can! of bacon, like corned beef, you pull it out and slice it and fry, horrific.

We take alot of canned fruit, that is always good, and you don't need a pan. Plus we also found canned custard in safeways, 27p a can I think. That was excellent. All you gotta do it put the cans on the fire afterwards, burn them dry, then chuck in a bag and carry them out. And canned beans, also excellent.

NickC

Jan 24, 2004
Reading, Berkshire
Cheese

As a kid I thought I would show of to some mates while camping and tried to make a meal my mother had just taught me - Macaroni cheese. Total disaster turned into pasta with white sauce :eek: with lumps of cheese in it - Would have helped If i had taken grated cheese.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Oh, and re mangos stickyness, if you just rub your hand in dry dirt and then wash it off, they will be clean. Also works with pine resin which is incredibly hard to get off.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
On a late summer camp in 2006, a forum member here and I camped for the weekend. Unknown to me, said camper (who will remain nameless) had bought along a four pack of frozen cod in parsley sauce. After three days in the summer heat, the cod exploded and the smell was unbelievable:eek: :eek: :eek: One ruined rucksack and clothes (not mine)

I still camp with the guy though from time to time, but he no longer brings along frozen food;)

The strange thing is, this is the second time in my life I've come across the explosive/pungent power of frozen cod in sauce!

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
i once took about 20 bannanas in a carrier bag inside my rucksack,when i got to my camp spot i hung the bag off a branch,very soon black slime was oozing out the corner of the bag.

Jun 17, 2008
Nottinghamshire
UK Rat Pack "Fruit Dumpling and custard" The dumplings are...... well..... grim, and the custard.............all I will say here,..... is that it glows in the dark.

So true. Over the years I have had many, many 24 hour ratpacks. I now have a draw full of spare Fruit Dumplings and other grim meals I never ate more than once.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
I took 2kgs of nuts in a big plastic bag (all sorts, peanuts, brasil, hazelnuts, etc) on the westcoast trail. Never touched it, so after 5 days on the trail i finally gave it away (didn't wanna chuck it in bear country...)

I love nuts, but it was just the quantity I think....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE