Food preperation and cooking for groups

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 10, 2012
pembrokeshire
I am intending to cook 5 rabbits using different methods, one on a spit and the rest probably in a pit, with either hot rocks or just under the fire.does anyone have any other cooking method suggestions that would take roughly the same time?

on the subject of hygiene what is everyones opion, I am going to get a food hygiene certificate because thats what has been suggested, what does everyone think?

Thanks

Chris

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I am intending to cook 5 rabbits using different methods, snip

on the subject of hygiene what is everyones opion, I am going to get a food hygiene certificate because thats what has been suggested, what does everyone think?

Thanks

Chris

Do you need a food hygeine certificate?
I have one due to work but its all common sense stuff in truth.

Cooking rabbit is quite straight-forward - until you cook it for other people.

If it is a group of friends there is nothing much to worry about, just stick to common sense precautions and basic hygiene requirements.

If, however, you are cooking it for a group, that are not close friends, or maybe have paid to sample your food as part of a course, it becomes a whole heap of red tape.
Food preparation surfaces, washing bowls for hands and utensils, temperature monitoring, traceable sources of meat from registered game suppliers are just a some of the things I have been asked to adhere to get the approval of the Council bean counters.

Good luck

Ogri the trog

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cube, make an egg white and cornflour batter, add chopped chilli, garlic and grated root ginger to the batter, dip the rabbit cubes in then flash fry in a wok. Add sliced mushrooms, soy and balsamic vinegar (not too much of the liquids - just enough to coat the precooked rabbit) sauteeing the mushrooms until softened. Serve on a bed of jasmine rice.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Cube, make an egg white and cornflour batter, add chopped chilli, garlic and grated root ginger to the batter, dip the rabbit cubes in then flash fry in a wok. Add sliced mushrooms, soy and balsamic vinegar (not too much of the liquids - just enough to coat the precooked rabbit) sauteeing the mushrooms until softened. Serve on a bed of jasmine rice.

Check out the Cordon bleu. Gets my vote. Someone has to up the anti for the weekend :You_Rock_

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Why not? Many international cuisines were designed for simple "one pot" cooking. BB (mrs Red) regularly does three or four dish chinese meals over an open fire.

Lemon chicken anyone?

Lemon Chicken by British Red, on Flickr

We aren't animals after all :)

I remember foraging blackberries and some apples on the Mors course and using bannock mix and a duck egg to make a rich batter and we had blackberry and apple pancackes. Never seen the point of eating badly

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Why not? Many international cuisines were designed for simple "one pot" cooking. BB (mrs Red) regularly does three or four dish chinese meals over an open fire.

Lemon chicken anyone?

Lemon Chicken by British Red, on Flickr

We aren't animals after all :)

I remember foraging blackberries and some apples on the Mors course and using bannock mix and a duck egg to make a rich batter and we had blackberry and apple pancackes. Never seen the point of eating badly

i totally agree with you Red, oriental would be my choice too. i also love my cooking and loathe to have to make do with boil in the bag to save on carry in weight. My woks are all too big and once i started carting out my cooking gear i'm afraid i might get carried away and require a pulk :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Theres some nice little spun steel woks around - or try a balti pan with a hole drilled through to fit a simple handle :). For me it needs a lid - that pan shape is, in many ways the ultimate "does everything" pan I think (fries, boils and bakes). You can get by with the wide and low billy cans like the Tatonka as well. It all depends what you want from the experience I think - covering the miles is not my bag, its more about enjoying the outdoors, often in one place.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There are some very talented campfire chefs on the forum - have a search on some of the Dutch Oven threads, Richards impressive cooking set ups and many more. Anything you can cook on a stove can be cooked outdoors after all

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE