Folks up Round Glasgow area

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just putting the feelers out to see who is up around the Glasgow area as I'll be moving up that way end of August. Not 100% where I'll be living but think it'll be west of Glasgow , looking at lochwinoch and Greenock areas as they will be close to new job and have good rail links to city so my missus can commute if she gets a job in Glasgow.

Also if anyone has any pointers for good places to live let me know, sure would appreciate it

Cheers

o
Orric

Orric

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Lochwinnoch is certainly a good area, my folks lived there for years and we're regular visitors to the RSPB centre.

There's the loch itself for fishing, boating/watersports, loads of good walks and the sustrans cycle track runs right through the village (loads of good foraging on the cycle track including wild strawberries but don't tell anyone, OK).

There's plenty of access to the green stuff but a decent enough rail service. The village used to get cut off reasonably regularly by floods although I think they've done some work to reduce this problem.

A few good pubs (some that the piano still stops playing when outsiders walk in admittedly...:)) but it's getting better as there's quite a good few non-natives living there now. A few good chippies/curry houses/restaurants and a couple of grocers/minimarts. You're also not too far from large supermarkets at Johnstone, Linwood (Phoenix Retail Park) or Paisley

Depending where your job is going to be, there's quite a few other fairly rural areas dotted around the outskirts of Glasgow that are great for those who love to be 'out there' but still need to be close to public transport. I'm just outside the south side of Glasgow and only need to walk a few hundred yards in either direction to find woods or fields but can still be in the centre of Glasgow by train in 25 minutes or so.

I know a few good areas where you can have easy access for bushcrafty stuff too.

If there's any other places you're thinking of in the area, feel free to let me know know & I'll happily give you a heads up on them.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
..........and if you're not already a member, away and join Song of the Paddle......those lochs are part of their playground, and at Castle Semple they have training days :D

Lanarkshire's further the other side of Glasgow, but again access to woodlands is minutes away and road and rail links are really good.

cheers,
Toddy

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
..........and if you're not already a member, away and join Song of the Paddle......those lochs are part of their playground, and at Castle Semple they have training days :D

Lanarkshire's further the other side of Glasgow, but again access to woodlands is minutes away and road and rail links are really good.

cheers,
Toddy

Funnily I joined sotp forum a while back. But the fact that I'm going to be so close to so many cracking water spots there are no excuses not together out paddling :)

Orric

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
Very nice spot, lots to see and do around there and easy to commute into Glasgow or travel further afield. You are blessed indeed!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE