Folding canoes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
When it comes to folding kayaks or canoes (or indeed inflatables) the borders between them are somewhat blurred. They all tend to have large open cockpits and can carry loads of gear.
I hope this link will be useful: http://www.foldingkayaks.org/

As you might expect, the lighter it is the more expensive it is. I have an ancient East German folder "Pouch RZ85" a double kayak which can easily be paddled solo you can get one second hand for way less than £300 on Ebay.
The modern equivalent is the Klepper available from Knoydart http://www.knoydart.co.uk/
the cheapest single Klepper new is about £1400
Knoydart also sell the folding canadian canoe "pakcanoe" for £1045.
Skin on frame canoes, wheither folding or not, are lovely to paddle and much more robust and easy to repair in the field than you might expect.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
"hmm.....interesting How did you get it shipped?"

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Maybe this is a better place to post this:

" http://www.pakboats.com/ do a folding canoe and kayak at a very reasonable price compared to everyone else, and with good dollar exchange rates at the mo' I'm tempted myself! As usual, any retailer in Rip Off Britain charges more in Sterling than the Americans charge in Dollars. Bit of a no brainer there then... I was looking at the Puffin series which is a kayak, but can be used without the top cover and can be used like a canoe in this respect. Obviously it is a compromise, but I'm sure that if the compromise is acceptable, then it should fit the bill! Packs into a small pack, so could easily be carried by bike. Trips to Poole harbour, or my old favourite-Mudeford harbour would be easy. You can go up the Avon to Bridge Street (not far really) or the Stour only as far as Iford Bridge, but it's a nice way to spend a few hours. I would launch out of Mudeford Quay and paddle up stream and then return with the flow all in an evening. In fact the more i think about it, then the more I think I'll get one of these, as it's the only way to get a canoe in an MX5 that I can think of, and I can also take it on a plane."

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
as it's the only way to get a canoe in an MX5 that I can think of, and I can also take it on a plane."

I know what you mean! At the weekend I transported 2 kayaks (an 11 footer and a 13 footer) in a short wheelbase landy! Lots of rope involved, the longer boat was touching the inside of the windscreen! Must have been 4 or 5 feet hanging out the back over the part lowered tailgate!

Dave

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
All this talk of canoes has forced me to try to buy a mid length kayak of eBay. I reckon I can get a shorty in the passenger side with the roof down. Just shove the kayak in a sausage style body bag, sealed at both ends, and the car should stay dry! But I think a Puffin will be on order for next year. Has anyone tried one?

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
SM

The newer designs are quite a bit shorter than the older stuff. I paddle a dancer at about 13 feet, but the new arc's etc are about 3 feet shorter, the little stunt boats quite a bit less than that, Try a google for "perception kayak".

Cheers,

Dave

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
anthonyyy said:
When it comes to folding kayaks or canoes (or indeed inflatables) the borders between them are somewhat blurred. They all tend to have large open cockpits and can carry loads of gear.
I hope this link will be useful: http://www.foldingkayaks.org/

Umm they've got a pic of a canoe with a sail there... doesn't that get a tad unstable?

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
The use of sails on canoes goes back a long way, Inuit use them. I'm not sure about the Aluit but the secret for making it stable is to add a leeboard, basically a removable Keel that you clamp to the lee gunwale to counter the leverage of the wind in the sail.

In the right conditions it should in theory be possible to drift with the current as you go downstream and sail as you go upstream but that's just being a bit lazy.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Dont let your choice of kayak be determined by the idea that it is easier to transport a shorter kayak.
There should be no problem carrying any length of kayak on a good roofrack of a small car. People regularly carry 17.5 foot sea kayaks on roofracks.

Sea kayaks are designed to be easy to paddle for long distances. Shorter river kayaks are designed to be easy to turn and need a lot of effort to keep them tracking straight.
On the other hand its cheaper to buy a second hand whitewater kayak and you could probably sell it off again without loosing much money.
Avoid the modern shorter "playboats" - these are great for running whitewater but TERRIBLE for touring. The best whitewater kayak for touring would be the older longer designs - like the perception dancer or corsica (these tend to be termed "general purpose kayaks".

Canadian canoes, however, can be difficult to load on a roofrack without assistance.

p.s. dont even think of canoeing on moving water without proper training!

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
anthonyyy said:
Dont let your choice of kayak be determined by the idea that it is easier to transport a shorter kayak.
There should be no problem carrying any length of kayak on a good roofrack of a small car. People regularly carry 17.5 foot sea kayaks on roofracks.

Umm... there is no roof on an MX5.... hence....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE