folding backpack recommendations?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I have a fold up nylon rucksac/bag from decatholon, very cheap and thin, bought it as a back up carrying bag, but found it surprisingly robust, used it abroad and and on flights... Still going strong 2years later..

Phineas

Oct 31, 2010
Norfolk
How about this one at Militarymart? I have one. It's light and tough. I have put a piece of sleep mat in it to pad the back a little.
The only thing I have reservations about are the shoulder straps. They're a bit narrow- about an inch and a half across and with no padding at all, just plain webbing. Despite this, it's comfy but I haven't loaded up to anywhere near full capacity yet. Just had a spare fleece, esbit stove and bits and pieces it it.
At some point I intend to pad the shoulder straps so I can load it up some more and use it as a summer weekend bag.

It's not truly a foldaway bag though so maybe it's not what you're after.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
How about this one at Militarymart? I have one. It's light and tough. I have put a piece of sleep mat in it to pad the back a little.
The only thing I have reservations about are the shoulder straps. They're a bit narrow- about an inch and a half across and with no padding at all, just plain webbing. Despite this, it's comfy but I haven't loaded up to anywhere near full capacity yet. Just had a spare fleece, esbit stove and bits and pieces it it.
At some point I intend to pad the shoulder straps so I can load it up some more and use it as a summer weekend bag.

It's not truly a foldaway bag though so maybe it's not what you're after.

Have you got a link?

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
S2S one is good. Had one for years, been on all my work trips as it packs down small and fits in all my bags so can take it to the gym, pool, or for general sight seeing. Also take it in a combat pocket if I think I might need it. It's small enough to use as a stuff sack inside a bigger pack

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
I've used the "Lifeventure Packable Daysack" for years and think it's great.
Mine is the forerunner to this model but it's basically the same thing,
untitled.jpg
http://www.lifeventure.co.uk/products/bags-and-luggage/packable-daysack.html

[video=youtube;_Z_ObNbfopE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z_ObNbfopE[/video]

330g, tough and well made, the sack is ideal to foray into town for shopping when my main kit is cached.
Happy trails...torc.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Ah, I see, not just folds flat with side compression. Get it now.

that was more my mistake than yours mate

I was a bit vague

I currently use one of those sports drawstring backpacks but wanted something that packes up even smaller

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Bit of an update - went to a local outdoor store and took a look at a couple of examples the Lifeventure Ultralite Packable Daysack and the sea to summit ultra-sil backpack.

both pack fairly small - well the s2s is tiny and half the size of the lifeventure, its also a bit bigger capacity wise 20lt vs 16lt so I was leaning towars it but I wasn't very keen on the shoulderstraps on the s2s and the shape didn't sit that well particularly when half empty.

so in tyhe end i settled on this one

worth noting it was also a fiver cheaper...
ul-packable-daysack-charcole-1.jpg

Phineas

Oct 31, 2010
Norfolk
Just took delivery of one of these, really good quality made by Haglofs no less!
Will make a great lightweight bag. I like the patches on the front for straps, will be good for strapping a jacket to if it gets warm.
Thanks for the recommendation :)

It's pretty good isn't it? I used mine at the weekend to carry 2 litres of water, a bit of food, poncho, esbit stove, fuel and titanium mug, and other bits and pieces which must have weighed maybe 8 pounds at a guess, maybe 10. It was comfy even with the narrow straps. Would thicken them up with some padding before I load up any more though.

And yes, it is a Haglofs. Mine says 1988 on the stamp but it looks brand spanking new.

I tried to upload some photos here but it wont let me. Do you know how I do it?

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I tried to upload some photos here but it wont let me. Do you know how I do it?

I think you need to be a Full Member to upload from your computer but I think you can upload pictures via Photobucket or the like of you have an account.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE