Flintlocks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I suppose you wouldn't want to risk damage to your starter, a mallet could be replaced more easily if broken? Interesting to see how hard it was to load the rifle, I thought it was hard to load my smoothbore. I'm also less worried about using a mallet to start off a patched ball despite the strange looks I get.

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
OK, just one naive question, why wasn't the mallet and the starter rod the same device? i.e. why didn't the mallet have a metal rod handle?
I would have thought for ease of use ,as the metal handle would have to be of a bigger diameter than the bore so as to be easier to grip.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Re: Hunting
The various loads of powder charge and projectile were sufficient ( to use RR reply to horsepower) for the chosen game.
People also employed more hunting SKILLS IE stalking, waiting for a favorable shot and KNOWING
Their firearm.
A flintlock has a long ‘lock time’ between pulling the trigger and discharge. A lot can happen in even a few seconds; your heartbeat, muscle tension, a breeze down range.
This is still a factor, although improved. The classic Mauser 98
My favorite , has a massive firing pin
Noticeably slower than a contemporary bolt action. WW1 it was said Germany had the best hunting rifle -98 USA best long range target rifle- Springfield and Remington Enfield and UK best combat rifle -SMLE
All firearms were expensive and dear in price and availability. A famous mountain man waited two years for his Hawken.
The mujahadeen in Afghanistan were still using flintlocks vs The USSR. Those rifles OUTRANGED
The Kalashnikovs!
The extinction of many species certainly shows a firearm is deadly.
The introduction of single shot shotguns in South America vs blowguns led to several monkeys
Being wiped out.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That was the next part of the question , how much power would there be. Guess i need to go do some research and a deep dive.
Don't underestimate power. A cap and ball revolver was the most powerful handgun until .357 magnum came along. Cap and Ball is a great YouTube channel as is Everything Black Powder.

Reactions: TeeDee

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Adequate ‘stopping power’ is useless if you can’t hit anything.
Stunt men on jerk lines being thrown backwards by a .44 magnum ( terrible combat round)
Look good on film but not real life.
I had a coffee table book on old merchant ships still in service. A Norwegian skipper was transporting grain to North Africa with a shady crew of 3 hired last minute.
The all had .38 spl Victory S&W left from WW2.
He had a rare, .32 SW. a delightful target and small game piece but no
Combat arm.
Informal target practice demonstrated his superior marksmanship. They still tried to hijack the ship. He shot one dead with a headshot and the survivors
Dropped their EMPTIED revolvers and surrendered; failing to even damage the bridge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE