Flintknapping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Not Bob

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2004
Anyone know where I could obtain either a flintknapping kit or a source of antler? UK based preferably.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Just dawned on me-sometimes at car boot sales you see old carving knives and forks which sometimes have genuine antler handles-might help :wink: I'll look out for some meself next time :wink:

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Attleborough Accessories sell antler; the gentleman demonstrating knapping at the gathering was using a handy rock from what I saw (and it was very educational - I've been belting things too hard, it seems). I made a pressure flaker out of a stick and a bit of brass rod some time ago.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Not Bob said:
Anyone know where I could obtain either a flintknapping kit or a source of antler? UK based preferably.

At most game fairs there are usually one or two stalls selling stick making materials. These guys usually have a bin full of antler bits n' pieces.

Burnt Ash

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Yes, antler can become brittle with drying. Another nice tool is a soldering iron tip in brass. I had the rare opportunity to excavate a prehistoric buffalo kill site and uncover one of the the folsom points. I'll never forget the thrill picking up a tool last handled by the hunter who threw it milenia past, and promptly slitting a huge cut in my left palm. Fortuititously, these tools are the sharpest know with edges one molecule thick. My hand healed very rapidly with only a faint white scar.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE