Flintknapping at the Moot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi All,

I've been endeavouring to sort out flintknapping for the Moot and there's not problem getting knapping on the workshop/course list but I want some feedback about how much you guys would pay, this is one of the few things that actually cost money on the Moot (other than materials for some workshops)

For us to have Flintkanpping at the Moot it would cost approximately £60 per person and we'd need to have 5 people per day for 3 days (15 people in total) We could have one or two more on a workshop which would reduce the cost but increase the amount of people needed. We could also do half days at £30 each but that would double the amount of people needed.

For us to go ahead with this i'd need people to pay up front and quite soon. We could do two full days and two half days or some such.

Thoughts?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
That would be cool Rev, thanks.

I don't think this is so much the flint as the cost of having Will Lord at the Moot and it being doable...

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I'm very surprised there is not more response. I guess a few are out in the woods this weekend!

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Very interested in this but having done NO flintknapping at all I wonder if my time will be wisely spent on a full day when all I have left is a pile of flakes at my feet. The bow making class that Wayne taught last year was great, but If I wasn't already used to using wood cutting tools (me being a carpenter) I know I would have struggled to make it al in one day. The basket weaving was great last year too but man did I struggle to see a completed end result for that time investment.

So what kind of numbers are there currently taking this course up Tony? Enough for a goer or are you just one person (potentially me) sort of it getting off the ground?

And can anyone recommend going on this course for a first timer? I'd know hate to cough up £60 only to regret that kind of cash investment and feel frustrated at the end of the day. Sorry to sound like a penny pincher, but £60's a sizeable bite out of my Moot budget.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
On the first knapping course I did I produced a usable scraper and a good arrowhead - with your dexterity I am sure that you will achieve excellent results ... just recall how I struggled with the bow!
Very interested in this but having done NO flintknapping at all I wonder if my time will be wisely spent on a full day when all I have left is a pile of flakes at my feet. The bow making class that Wayne taught last year was great, but If I wasn't already used to using wood cutting tools (me being a carpenter) I know I would have struggled to make it al in one day. The basket weaving was great last year too but man did I struggle to see a completed end result for that time investment.

So what kind of numbers are there currently taking this course up Tony? Enough for a goer or are you just one person (potentially me) sort of it getting off the ground?

And can anyone recommend going on this course for a first timer? I'd know hate to cough up £60 only to regret that kind of cash investment and feel frustrated at the end of the day. Sorry to sound like a penny pincher, but £60's a sizeable bite out of my Moot budget.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Well you asked for feedback....

60 quid for the day, despite being quite reasonable for what it is, would put me off to be honest - especially on top of the cost of being at the Moot in the first place. I imagine it would also put off people who just fancied giving it a try.

I did the short knapping session with Jon & Will at the Moot a few years ago and it was fine as a taster. I can't remember if there was a cost, but if there was it was cheap. That certainly was enough for me to tick it off my list (and decide it wasn't really my thing if I'm honest!)

Hope that helps

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thanks for the feedback guys, I can't se knapping being on the list this year i'm afraid. In previous years we had half day sessions for £15 each but that's not available any more, just the travel expenses would be 20 people.

Thanks anyway, if we can work something else out we will and let you know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE