Flint

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stretch3144

Feb 3, 2009
North Tawton, Devon
Hi all,
I would like to obtain some flint to try my hand at tool making and fire lighting.
I live in Wiltshire - home of Stonehenge and White Horses, therefore an area inhabited by neolithic man etc and hopefully an easy place to source flint from.
Any advice on how to find flint, what it looks like, where its likely to be found, then please let me know.

Many thanks,

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Hi.You shouldnt have problem finding flint where you live.Have a look on ploughed fields,flint nodules should have a hard white outer layer called the cortex,and a black inner which is the flint.Take a hammer and break a few stones open( wear goggles!,oh and gloves).If im right,the flint down your way will range from a black to gray/whitish colour.Ive found loads of the stuff around the avebury area.The sizes of flint nodules can range from marble size to,well,huge!Flint is also very randomly shaped.

Bumpy

Forager
Apr 18, 2008
West Yorkshire
You are looking for something like this:

flint.jpg

Hope this helps.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
It just so happens I'm hoping to be in Newbury and the surrounding area during the Easter weekend.....the Plain and the Henge will be getting visited...and I too will be looking for flint....don't think we have a lot lying around up here in the northeast.....

Smoggy.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Walk over the Downs smoggy. I'm sick of the stuff - forever hoiking 15" lumps of it out of my veg beds!

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
hi there stretch,i live in the southeast of england and i am surrounded by the stuff .If you want, send me a pm ,could sort you something out???

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE