Flint and Steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Nice find. The first one looks a bit basic, the second is a bit more decorative. This has no bearing on the function, of course, just depends what you are after. If anybody does get one (I already have one so don't need another!), please put your findings up so that others can make an informed decision, there has been a bit of difficulty finding these of late so it seems.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Very pretty and not a bad price I guess.
Personally I buy old (and I mean OLD) files on junkstalls and break them into aprox 2" lengths, smooth off one end and TaDah - a cheap and functional, historically acurate (for re-enactors) steel - for about 25p each!
Its not that I am mean - just a dweller in the Cardigan area of Scottish decent....;)

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Get one from Mike Amelling of this very site!
With the dollar at its current rate it will cost you no more than those you can get a choice of designs and they are guaranteed to work...these may be pants!!!!!
I got a lovely traditional C shape from Mike and I use it light the coal fire in my house.
Dave
No connection yada yada just vvvvvvvvvvv satisfied customer.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Yes, those are simple/basic/user flint strikers. In the end, that's all you really need. The rest is a matter of style and preference.

I have also made and used some made from old files. Just snap/break off a couple inches of the old file, grind the teeth off of the edge of the file, and strike away - all without annealing/forgin/heat-treating the file. Just make sure to get an OLD file. So many of the new ones are soft iron that has been case-hardened, so only the teeth are hard enough and have enough carbon in them to spark well.

Here's a pic of some I was playing around forging up earlier this past week - before the really cold temps moved in. (18 degrees below zero before sunrise this morning - farenhiet of course.)

SenecaMohawkStrikers.jpg

From the bottom:
- Scottish 18th century - but influenced by contact with France and Flanders
- Dutch trade strikers recovered from two Seneca Indian village sites that were occupied between 1650 and 1680 (Fox and Cherry Hill sites). Note how much that one resembles the Scottish one. And that double snails or Ram's Horn style striker continued being made/traded on up through the 1770's Rev War time period.
- two strikers recovered from a Mohawk village and Jesuit Mission site in Montgomery County NY that was occupied between 1630-1645. Probably of French origin. That "bar" style is one of the first styles of strikers that the French were trading in North America. It probably was almost twice as long originally. Interesting side note: a similar one was collected from the Crow out in Monatana in the mid/late 1800's. That's a long ways to travel for a piece of "trade goods" from the 1600's or early 1700's.

Interesting how ... connected some things can be.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

- where temps are staying below zero (F) for the next few days ... now where did I put my insulated coveralls and pack boots - that shop is mighty cold!

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
Speaking of flintstrikers and Mike Ameling, heres one that Mike made for me recently, works good too.

2766017010042438012YdoTIt

The tube thing is a dog name/address holder that has rolled up charcloth inside.

2917758880042438012hdIcZS

Huge aint it? :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE