(Flint and) Steel - Where to get?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a steel to act as a flint striker. Not a ferricium rod you understand, but the curvy piece of steel used to strike sparks off a flint shard. I know I could make one - all I lack is a forge, any skill or time :lmao: . I thought I would ask here first rather than in kit chatter as it seemed the right place! Found my horses hoof fungus and will prep it over the weekend. I'm confident of getting a firesteel spark to catch, but would love to try with a proper "flint and steel". Can of of the more experience pyromaniacs help me out?

Red

British Red said:
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a steel to act as a flint striker. Not a ferricium rod you understand, but the curvy piece of steel used to strike sparks off a flint shard. I know I could make one - all I lack is a forge, any skill or time :lmao: . I thought I would ask here first rather than in kit chatter as it seemed the right place! Found my horses hoof fungus and will prep it over the weekend. I'm confident of getting a firesteel spark to catch, but would love to try with a proper "flint and steel". Can of of the more experience pyromaniacs help me out?

Red
Have a chat with Jason (Or Jason-01, both the same bloke just different forums and I can never remember which is which :D ) He makes some superb hand forged fire steels in a variety of styles.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Spoony,

I had heard that - I just fancied something pwetty :p

I'm trying to get in touch with my inner Viking!

Red

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
You shouldnt have any trouble using it BR, I dont make em as ornaments :D

new3.jpg

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Well i got all the flint and steel i need but i order a fire piston form some one no name i was 62 at the time gray now i am 63 hope i can make it to 64 or it got lost in the mail [he. he.] :eek: :eek:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Brian Curnel said:
As Spoony said you can use an old file, rasp etc... and as for a forge you can set the file in the coals of a hot fire and use a heavy stone as an anvil if needed, also another stone if to hammer if ya wanna go about it the traditional way.

Brian ,

To be more accurate, YOU could set the file in the coals of a hot fire and use a heavy stone as an anvil if needed.

I could set an old file in a coal fire and get 3rd degree burns :lmao: - I'm rubbish at metal work. Always was, always will be! If I had someone to show me how, I'd give it a go, but without a tame jason on hand, I'll reach for my wallet! If I can get it going maybe I'll branch from there, but for now, I'll stick to wood :eek:

Red

if I had someone to show me how, I'd give it a go,
Red

I don't have pics but I can tell ya....

1. get a good bed of coals place the end of the file about 1/2 into the coals, make sure that they are hot!

2. check file periodically to see if it has a cherry red or orange glow, when it does it is malletable, and you're ready to start.

3. Turn the file onto its narrow side and hammer it until it starts to get"squared" to the other side. ( you may have to set it in the coals repeadedly)

4. Once you have achieved that then onto bending the handle, place about 1/4 of file over a small log then hammer it as to bend it in the shape (cresent like) once done dip in water several times but do not leave it in water or do this process in oil which tempers the metal.

Repeat step 1-4 for side two and you'll have a striker.

Hope this will help you experiment.

Also I have a source to getstrikers but it is in the US.
Bri

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Brian Curnel said:
I don't have pics but I can tell ya....

1. get a good bed of coals place the end of the file about 1/2 into the coals, make sure that they are hot!

2. check file periodically to see if it has a cherry red or orange glow, when it does it is malletable, and you're ready to start.

3. Turn the file onto its narrow side and hammer it until it starts to get"squared" to the other side. ( you may have to set it in the coals repeadedly)

4. Once you have achieved that then onto bending the handle, place about 1/4 of file over a small log then hammer it as to bend it in the shape (cresent like) once done dip in water several times but do not leave it in water or do this process in oil which tempers the metal.

Repeat step 1-4 for side two and you'll have a striker.

Hope this will help you experiment.

Also I have a source to getstrikers but it is in the US.
Bri
Thanks Brian,

If I get to try, I'll have a medic standing by with cling film and ice water!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE