Flashgun / remote trigger ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Hia, can anyone in the know recommend a cheapish flashgun and a remote stutter release? Using a Nikon D3100. I know there are lots out there, but don't want to spend a fortune. Hoping the more experienced out there will be able to point me in the right direction, as I'm very very new to this D-SLR stuff... addictive though innit.. :D

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Thanks for every ones replies so far! There sure is a hell of a lot of things out there that flash and whatnot aren't there?! If I go for a wireless shutter release, cn I fit a flashgun to it too, so that I can operate a flash either on the camera or as a remote flash?

Sorry for the noob questions.. lol

cheers,

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
THIS one can do both jobs but you may want one of THESE as well for more than one flash.

Never used one myself. I have the older version of the wireless remote which doesnt work with a flashgun and its good.

THIS one could be really useful for wildlife photos

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Thanks brancho, those look like something that would do the job... but methinks they won't work with the 3100..I may be wrong of course - but it says they don't work with the 3000, and the only sockets I can see on the 3100 are GPS, USB, HDMI and a A/V port.

EDIT: of course reading the manual helps... the GPS socket is also the wired remote socket (MC-DC2)

Last edited:

jimcall

Oct 15, 2008
Falkirk
Nagual, I know next to hee haw about this but I read somewhere that my Fuji HS10 (bridge camera) cant just take any old flash in the shoe. There is a possibility that the wrong voltage or current running across the shoe contacts can fry the camera with horrible consequences! Maybe worth checking this out for your particular camera?

jim

Rumcajs

Forager
Nov 13, 2009
Kielce, PL
www.jbohac.net
All the stuff that brancho recommended i would go for myself. Probably not the flash as I had bad experience with Nissin but that wireless flash/shutter release is good.
I have Hahnel Giga T Pro Wireless Remote and am very happy with it.
According to the Nikon website you can connect cable release to your camera, and my guess is it is the same socket as the GPS unit.
Not sure if remote recommended by brancho can be connected straight to your camera or would you need some sort of adapter. You would have to find out.

Rumcajs

Forager
Nov 13, 2009
Kielce, PL
www.jbohac.net
This is the adapter I was thinking about:
n90ad.jpg

you can find it here
look in the section for 2.5mm Remote Release Adapters.
It's almost at the bottom of the page.

P.S. Sorry for the picture, don't know how to make it smaller.

Jan 16, 2009
Leicestershire
One of these should work to remotely trip the shutter.

To use your flashgun off camera, you'll need something to trigger the flash. If your flashgun has a pc socket, these are cheap and work well enough with studio lights, so should be ok with a small flashgun.

Another option to fire the flash off-camera would be a long pc synch cable connected to the camera via a hotshoe adapter, but option 1 is cheap enough and a bit more versatile.

You'll need to carry spare batteries, though.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Cheers folks once again! Certainly a lot to look through. Although from what I can see, the remote/flash trigger that brancho suggested would be the sort of thing I'm looking for, and certainly would need an adapter if it would work. Web sites such as the one jimbowl linked to suggest it would work. Looks like I'll have to do some more digging to check this out.

Thanks once again, this forum is always font of information. If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions of course, I'm always open to more ideas!

Cheers,

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
Nikon SB28s are great flashes, I have a couple of them, and my cameras a Canon!! They've got everything built in to just put on a nikon SLR and use in full auto mode (ETTL) but also all the manual settings for a bit of arty stuff (I use them in manual off-camera stuff with my canon).

They've also got built in triggers which will detect the flash from your camera and fire themselves. Available on Ebay for <£100

take a look here for how best to make use of camera flash www.strobist.com

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE