Fjällräven quality changing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
A couple of years ago Fjällräven was almost always described as a producer of high quality outdoor clothing, especially the G1000 garments should be very long lasting, and I'm happy about the Barents trousers and Kaise anorak I bought some time ago.

But recently I started seeing more negative comments regarding their garments, including their G1000 trousers, and by coincidence the Varg shirt I just bought had buttons that were hardly sewn on: some fell off after a couple of days... (luckily I got it exchanged)

Is there a reason to assume something changed in the Fjällräven production process in terms of quality control or is this just a coincidence? Of course it's possible that I notice the negative reviews more now that I was unlucky with the shirt...
Did management change? Production facilities moved? Anyone working in a shop getting more garments back due to faults? Anything?

Asking because I'm interested in getting the Karl trousers and wouldn't like to get a product that used to be really good. And I've been recommending their trousers to many friends because I like mine and because of all the good reviews. Wouldn't like to hear afterwards that their expensive new trousers are falling apart...

Not trying to bash Fjällräven at all. Obviously I'm hoping to hear that nothing has changed, it's still great and I shouldn't worry about getting those new trousers ;)

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
When I bought my Keb SC shirt in the summer it had similar problems with buttons. I just took them off and sew them back myself, since I do a better job anyway than someone who's in a rush. :)
I do think the more complicated they get with their products the more quality issues they might have. I still have 110% faith in their traditional items. Going to get a Greenland jacket in the spring in addition to Karl zip-offs. Fairly certain there's not much that can go wrong there, aside from buttons. I'm not so sure about their techical products, I avoid them. But someone from Fjällräven said to me that their spring/summer 2012 collection will appeal to me, which was said as an answer to my comment that I like their traditional products more.

They are my favourite outdoor equipment producing company.

I normally don't read reviews and comments, it's anecdotal evidence at best. Since clothing is such a personal thing it's best to buy the stuff, try it and make up your own mind. I've been fussed after buying some expensive kit due to reading a negative review. Turned out to be just someone's opinion. :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Is there a reason to assume something changed in the Fjällräven production process in terms of quality control ..."

Possibly.

I have many pairs of 'Forrester' trousers, these are very hard wearing, however the quality of the zip fly has always been poor and I have had to replace a few.

Of late I have also noticed things like the position of belt loops and internal pocket dividers has started to vary from trouser to trouser, a small thing but quite irritating.

It seems that no company makes a decent job of sewing on buttons these days, I had to redo most of them on a recent batch of 5.11 shirts. :(

Last edited:

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I have about 5 pairs of their trousers and to be honest, im looking for something new now, to many times the sewing has came away at the seems and ive had to sew them back up myself, this cant be just bad luck with so many pairs of trousers. I do like the style of the trousers and the materials is nice and hard wearing but their sewing procedures seem to be a bit below par to me.

Reactions: Markotommo

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I love my Greenland jacket but hear this a lot. Being Welsh rather than Scandinavian has more of a bearing on their trousers as I am short and stout rather than tall and svelt. I got rid of the trousers because of the fit.

That said I tried on a pair of Klättermusen Gere and they fit like a glove. Obviously put them neatly back on the hanger and live in my 5.11s from Lurch.

I hear from Scadinavians that Fjallraven isn't it used to be - so it must have amazing quality back in the then.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Stuff I bought recently has crap seams, they start going bad way too soon. No more of their stuff, which is a pity; I like the traditional desigs, but will not buy an expensive garment that has to be mended in that manner.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
I've heard that Halti (http://www.halti.com/) isn't as good quality as it used to be. But nothing negative about Fjällräven. All of these "quality" brands have moved manufacturing to low-cost countries, but these countries should still be capable of producing to the same quality levels. Many other brands have looked to grow profit by increasing the gap between price and manufacturing/material costs - I really hope the arctic fox hasn't started to go in this direction.

But if you think they're quality is dropping, why don't you email them? I'm sure they would be happy to hear customer feedback.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
There was something in the newspapers a few months ago about Fjallraven jackets becoming the new 'Burberry' clothing for some football fans? Not sure if this has any bearing on the quality of their products though; where is the clothing now made? Outsourced to China perhaps?

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
where is the clothing now made? Outsourced to China perhaps?

The last FR trousers I bought were made in Vietnam.

I also heard that FR had become a "fashionable" brand amongst some non-traditional wearers. Hopefully FR will pursue a dual strategy for it's traditional and newer markets, without lowering the quality level to the lowest common denominator.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I have always found their stuff comes apart, rips easily and G1000 isn't remotely waterproof or resistant. Some elements are really poor - especially the zip flies! Overpriced for indifferent quality, IMHO. Priced as if made in Sweden, but with $2/hr Vietnamese labour costs.

As the posters above say, becoming a fashion/terraces brand now, which won't help.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
I'm extremely happy with Craghoppers gear. Often heavily discounted, I have several pairs of their trousers, both lined (for winter) and unlined. I also have some of their Bear Grylls branded kit which is strong, durable and also discounted. I got a couple of Bear Grylls trousers for £18.

Snozz

Sent from my Orange San Francisco

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
and G1000 isn't remotely waterproof or resistant.

Have you tried re-waxing your gear? I give mine a good coat of their greenland wax straight after a wash, and find that rain just beads off the G1000 fabric surface, whilst being much more breathable that gore-tex type fabrics.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Personally, I'm a big fan of Rohan stuff - I've got stuff of theirs that is 30 years old and still perfectly serviceable despite countless washes. The newer clothing seems as well-made as the clothes I bought in the 80s. Not cheap, and like most much of their stuff is made abroad, but their quality control still seems spot on. Zips and stitching are bullet-proof. Got a mate who buys all his Rohan gear second-hand off ebay, and it is noticeable that a) even prices there hold up well for styles that haven't been in production for decades, and b) he's never had a problem with what he's bought! Maybe he's on to something........

Hi, I work for the UK distributor of Fjallraven. I've been a member for a while but haven't posted anything before. When I came across this thread recently I took the issues raised to my colleagues in Sweden for their comments, since it's these guys who are in charge of the design and production. The product manager, Donna, and marketing manager, Jerry, were most concerned that some of you had some experiences and opinions of our brand that weren't too good. Below is their reply which I am posting on their behalf. They had tried to respond direct to the thread but couldn't access it for reasons we don't understand. I hope you all are ok with us, the manufacturer, responding directly. It seemed the right thing for us to do. (By the way, I tried to log on with my real name rather than the forum nickname I've got, but the site wouldn't allow me. I don't want you all to think I wish to remain anonymous! My name is Ralph White)

" Dear loyal Fjällrävs,

We have noted you concerns on the Bush craft UK blog and are happy that you took this to our attention.
As most of you know Fjällräven has been committed to classic outdoor gear with a focus on function and the highest quality for 50 years.. This is something we take with the utmost seriousness. I am sorry to hear that you have had some less than exceptional experiences with some Fjällräven garments lately. This is something we take action on daily to assure quality..
Here are some of the choices Fjällräven makes to insure the best quality products:

We use: Coats thread ( Epic and Astra ) which is the highest quality thread for our garments.. This is the same thread that is used for the toughest work wear.

We use: only YKK and Finnish quality Salmi zippers. 5 years ago we had some issues that the waist button was being placed a few millimeters off that caused extra stress on the zipper. This problem was correct within the same year.

Our Own: G1000 has been made by the same trusted supplier for over 15years. The quality is often and routinely tested to assure the original standard is being kept.

Our garments and hardware are made in a few different places. Vietnam, China, Hungary , Portugal, Estonia , Lithuania, Denmark , Sweden and Sri Lanka. Our trousers partner factories have been making many of the same trousers styles for over 18years. We only have long-term partners in manufacturing.

We inspect 100% of all productions with a team of 6 Quality assurance professionals.

Our Greenland Wax is now and has always been made in Sweden.. Is it made from simply Paraffin and Beeswax with no chemical additives. It is the best way the lengthen the life of your G1000 garments and hardware as well as increase wind and water resistance .

We have for a long time back avoided the use of chemical additives or treatments in our garments..These treatments are often used for anti smell, anti wrinkle , anti tick and mosquito etc. These chemicals are often dangerous for those applying the chemical and even to the end consumer..many of them only last 5 to 10 washes.. We have made an active choice to avoid this..

We use only Flor Free WR treatments on our waterproofs. DWR treatments are known to be harmful to waterborne organism in water shelters.

I hope that this information gives you peace of mind and understanding of the unwavering commitment to quality by Fjällräven. We appreciate your loyalty and hope you have many great adventures in the outdoors with our gear for years to come.

Kind regards,

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
That's much appreciated Ralph and I like the tone of sincerity. Truth is I have always found G1000 susceptible to ripping. The fly-zipper problem affected one pair of G1000 trousers I have had. The others have been fine. However, on a brand with this price level, that's enough to put someone off.

I wonder how much of the manufacturing takes place in Vietnam, Sri Lanka and China and how much in the higher labour cost markets of the EU as listed, and when the switch to Asian manufacturing took place? I always assumed I was paying a premium to keep someone in Sweden in a job.

I think the adoption of the brand by the terraces / fashion crowd is bad news for Fjallraven and you could end up going the way of other terraces brands. Time for some smart marketing, as I think the more serious outdoor crowd will move on to other brands, and then, when the fashion crowd move on to the next fashion item, you won't have any customers left!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...We have for a long time back avoided the use of chemical additives or treatments in our garments..These treatments are often used for anti smell, anti wrinkle , anti tick and mosquito etc. These chemicals are often dangerous for those applying the chemical and even to the end consumer..."

That is interesting, thanks for getting the company to respond.

At least four of my forrester trousers have failed at the fly, most were probably purchased 2004-2006.

The stitching on the rest of the trouser I cannot be fault, other than the variation in internal pocket layout and belt loop spacing which is quite irritating, but not the end of the world.

:)

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
First of all I'm not a Fjällräv (although I called three of my children that way), secondly I'm as loyal as the price/performance of the product, thirdly it was not the purpose of this post to bring things to the attention of a company but to share experiences. Thank you.

I have FR products, some impressive and some not. Quality is usually good and with some material knowledge everybody must be able to discern good/bad stuff.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Nice to get some feedback from Fjällräven. Always positive when consumer concerns reach the producer, good quality production is in everyone’s best interests on the long run.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
That's much appreciated Ralph and I like the tone of sincerity. Truth is I have always found G1000 susceptible to ripping. The fly-zipper problem affected one pair of G1000 trousers I have had. The others have been fine. However, on a brand with this price level, that's enough to put someone off.

I wonder how much of the manufacturing takes place in Vietnam, Sri Lanka and China and how much in the higher labour cost markets of the EU as listed, and when the switch to Asian manufacturing took place? I always assumed I was paying a premium to keep someone in Sweden in a job.

I think the adoption of the brand by the terraces / fashion crowd is bad news for Fjallraven and you could end up going the way of other terraces brands. Time for some smart marketing, as I think the more serious outdoor crowd will move on to other brands, and then, when the fashion crowd move on to the next fashion item, you won't have any customers left!

They will have many thousands more fashion customers if the football trend continues, good business for them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE