Fixed blade carry question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have just re-read the sticky knife law thread again but would just like a bit of clarification on one point please?

With a good reason i.e bushcraft, is it lawful to carry a fixed blade without the landowners consent if you stumble upon private land or could a person be charged with armed trespass?

From what I read the carry of fixed blades on public land is lawful with just a reasonable excuse but private land I'm unsure of?

Steve.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Dont mean to thread jack but while were on the topic, can a under 18 legally carry a uk legal blade? I know they cannot buy them but what about carry?

Not to sure of the answer of the OP so lets wait for the back scene brains! :cool:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I know with air-guns that you can be charged with armed trespass if on land without permission but am unsure if having a knife is classed as being 'armed'?

Steve.

Peanut

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2011
Essex
If it's a genuine mistake then there shouldn't be any problems. As the OP mentioned that this would be in relation to a bushcraft activity, it'll be pretty obvious by the way that you're conducting yourself that you do not have any ulterior motive for being there. This would be shown in what you are doing and what else you have with you.

In the unlikely event that you're sneaking about in the shadows checking out someone's house, then understandably there would be issues.

Most people would ask you to move on, leaving the land as you found it, and that'd be the end of it.

Edit: having jut read southey's post, I think it's important to add that if you have a knife on you and are challenged, saying "It's for bushcraft" is not a reasonable excuse in itself. There are a number of other factors that come into play, and it does depend somewhat on what the landowner has to say about it. If there are signs stating it's private land, you'll need to come up with a good excuse for being there

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Unfortunately its one of those things that isn't overlooked but gets glossed over a bit, I go off to practise skills with various knives, it isn't my job, its a hobby, I don't need the knives or axes for my lively hood so in the eyes of Joe plod i really have no reason to have anything other than a legal folder on my person, but, I don't put my self in a position where im going too look out of context, look suspicious, be a nuisance, or be unknown when I have those tools with me, but dont think you can only think of your knife\axe if your on some one else's land, think what's in your bag\satchel do you have a little survival kit, does it have fishing line, snare wire, small knife it only takes a report of a guy in subdued clothes walking along the field boundaries in and area where they have had problems for you to stopped and searched, i have had it happen to me when i forgot to notify the land owner that i was going to a spot i had permission for, its a dodgy moment when your kit is turned out, luckily the two policemen were fine once the land owner said he new who I was and i was allowed on the land(though it cost me a bottle to the owner) if your not sure your allowed even on the land, then make sure your not going to put your self in the brown stuff if you find your not.

Have fun chaps:)

Southey,

Peanut

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2011
Essex
if your not sure your allowed even on the land, then make sure your not going to put your self in the brown stuff if you find your not,

I think this quote sums it up really.

Be careful and you'll have no problems explaining your legitimate reason for having sharps on you. There is always a chance that you will at some point have to justify your presence or what you have on you, but it's your response that dictates what response you get.

Luke

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
You have to temper your thoughts on the law with what actually happens, this forum does not advocate illegal activities, and quite rightly so, and with that in mind how many people were stopped and searched on the way to and from the moot and how many of those had knives and or axes on them that were not needed for there lively hood at the point they were travelling, its all about context, they weren't on the radar as possible criminals, acting in a way to get noticed, being suspicious.

Saxmaniac

Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I like multi tools and to ensure I'm 'UK street legal' I carry the non-locking Sog Paratool. But am I legal ? When you open the blade and close the body of the tool to use the knife, although no locking mechanism exists the blade is actually locked open by the multi tool frame. Does it then become a lock knife in the eyes of the law ? I'm unaware of any case law, any thoughts out there ?

Nick

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
I believe the definition of a non locking knife is one that the blade can be closed simply by closing the blade. If you need to perform any other action before you close the blade then it's a lock knife.

However this is all based on case law, as AFAIA there hasn't been a court case about this style of knife it is a legal grey area, it may be a lock knife in the eyes of PC Bloggs but not in the eyes of PC Jones

At the end of the day if you think that a jury of random people who most likly have no idea about knives would think of was a non locking knife then you are probably ok

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I like multi tools and to ensure I'm 'UK street legal' I carry the non-locking Sog Paratool. But am I legal ? When you open the blade and close the body of the tool to use the knife, although no locking mechanism exists the blade is actually locked open by the multi tool frame. Does it then become a lock knife in the eyes of the law ? I'm unaware of any case law, any thoughts out there ?

Nick

It is classed as a lock knife in the eyes of the law.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
This is why i bought this knife....

http://www.ronniesunshines.com/index.php/joker-no-74-olive-wood-folding-knife-1.html

img_0628.jpg

Good price, good reviews, looks nice- and legal! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE