first time in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Bloody scary. But I was young and believed in boogey monsters.

I still get scared sometimes these days, being acclimatised to a lost of noise and no creatures running around.

I prefer to go out for at least 2 nights, otherwise the effort doesn't make it worthwhile - it takes me 24 hours to get properly acclimatised.

One of these days I'm going to get time to do a week....

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
The first time I was 7 and got lost on the way back from the creek we used for a swimming place. It was a four mile walk through the woods and I had done it at least three times with my brother and the other boys.

This time I fell behind and they ran off ahead of me to try and scare me. I never really got scared but was worried that my mom would give me a beating when I got home late.

We had to cross a small stream and a long cotton field after we got through the woods. It had rained that morning while we swam and the stream had enlarged from the run off. I couldn't find a place to cross and so went up stream thinking it would be smaller up stream.

It curved around and soon I was back in the woods, only now I was turned around and not sure which way to go. It was getting late and starting to get dark so I decided to find a dry spot and make camp for the night. I always carried a pocket knife and I had a towel to dry off after the swim. I looked around and found an old Indian arrowhead. The whole place was an old Indian Village thousands of years ago and we found arrowheads all the time. I used the arrow head and my pocket knife to start a fire and used the towel for a blanket.

I woke up early the next morning, there were a dozen people out searching for me. I got the beating, but it was worth it and I have gone to the woods every chance since then.

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
I was 15 (3 years ago, yeah yeah) when I slept out on my own. I had camped alot before then and had read alot of survival books and Mors Kochanski's Bushcraft, so after reading My side of the Mountain for the tewnty-fifth time I decided to take my gear and go in the bush alone.

I got into the sand dunes that were in the forest a couple of kilometres from my home, I knew there was a pond in the dunes I could get water from to boil. I had also read how sand absorbs heat from fire and returns the heat in the night. I made a lean-to with a green tarp and covered it with oak saplings, to keep it from fluttering too much in the breeze.

It was early April so it was still cold out, even though most of the snow was gone. So I made a "boxspring" from rotting birch logs I found nearby, and then created a matress out of a huge amount of cedar and white pine boughs.

I leaned bark from a few dead spruce along the sides to help waterproof the shelter, although I wasn't expecting any rain. I then dug with a large stick a trench, once again because I read how it needed to be done, not because I thought any rain was coming.

I set my space tarp on a large pile of sand facing my leanto's opening, and a few feet infront of this I build a fire. The space tarp was to reflect more heat into the shelter. I had two blankets with me and I laid them down inside to warm up. I gathered as much firewood as I thought I would need, then doubled that amount (rule of survival I've followed since I was younger).

I ate some peaches and a freeze-dried meal (chicken teriyaki or something like that) for dinner and threw the scraps into the fire (bad move). Then I went to sleep.

Around midnight I woke up freezing cold, because the fire was completely out... teaches me for using only cedar and pine. I heard movement, I was hearing large crunching in the leaves over in the bush, I tried to ignore it, knowing that bears and wolves were in the area but weren't going to bother me. But it got louder, and louder, and closer...

I switched on my flashlight, but couldn't see anything... I scanned the area the sound was coming from, but nothing was there... except the noise of footsteps... I wasn't scared of animals, or people... but invisible things walking towards me?? I grabbed for my belt knife.... which wasn't on my belt but in my pack, so I grabbed for a branch laying nearby and stood up. And that is when the field mouse hopped away...

I breathed a sigh of relief, and started to laugh, I kept laughing really hard at my stupidity, and then I heard some noise behind me. I turned expecting another mouse... but that was the biggest mama raccoon I've ever seen in my life, two feet from me, rooting through the dead embers of my fire.... she wasn't happy about my noise and light on her face... I ran out of those woods faster than my fat rear could do healthily!

Since then I've learned alot... namely NOT to put food into a fire, it just attracts too many animals. I also learned how to properly manage a fire while it's night. Also.. don't run blindly through the woods.. too many branches there to reach out and jab you! :lmao:

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
boland magyar said:
hi all
as a novice i have a question
what was it like the first time you slept out on your own in the woods ?
boland
Most of my solo stuff has been manning incidents on various scout activities, so not really alone, but it never bothered me too much.

My very first solo was only a few years back and I quite enjoyed it, but I was bored by 7PM. Dinner was done and dusted, camp was ready for the night, wood was ready, so I went for a walk. That took me to 9PM, so I had breakfast then went to bed early and went home at 6:30 next morning.

The only time I was bothered in the woods was I was out badger watching one night less than a mile from home when a middle aged couple decided to use that very spot.... you get the picture. :eek: NoI didn't get the picture, although the flash going off would have been funny. :lmao:

nitram55

Forager
Feb 24, 2006
Tamworth Staffs
Goulies, ghosties long leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night. :eek:

In all seriosness I always feel safer at night, as I usually have the woods to myself.

Martin

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
boland magyar said:
hi all
as a novice i have a question
what was it like the first time you slept out on your own in the woods ?
boland
I remember the first night I camped alone . took loads of stuff to do ( read , carve etc ) .as it was winter and dark at 5pm. never had time to think about anything else .so if you keep occupied, your mind doesnt wander and think there is a mad axemurderer watching you .
after the first time you wont want company again

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
The shadow that was the axe murder in the trees. :yikes: Finally i got feed up thinking there might be something there so i went over and offered it a brew! :cool: Nothing there, :eek: since then its been the refuge that i crave for! :)

I took too much kit i was going for a night not a week :rolleyes: . The foxes yelped and then that bloody babycham deer began barking! :aargh4: I had to get up and bang two sticks to make it shut up. :censored: Ever since then I have wanted to eat one out of revenge. :werd:

Sandsnakes

E

Enok

I have a question:

Me and my mate are planing to camp out in the woods near us in a shelter were goin to build.

BUT the wood is owned by the forrestry commision and i was wondering wether it was ok/legal to camp there and light a fire etc :confused: or would everyone get all angry :cussing:

Cheers :D

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
that isnt legal and its not even legal to build a shelter in there without permission
leon

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Enok said:
I have a question:

Me and my mate are planing to camp out in the woods near us in a shelter were goin to build.

BUT the wood is owned by the forrestry commision and i was wondering wether it was ok/legal to camp there and light a fire etc :confused: or would everyone get all angry :cussing:

Cheers :D
I used to be a deer control contractor for said forestry commission and they would be less than pleased if they found out . best not to let them know !!!
They seem to forget the forests they manage they manage for us (taxpayers)
Go ahead and enjoy yourselves , I know I do .

E

Enok

leon-b said:
that isnt legal and its not even legal to build a shelter in there without permission
leon

So can anyone tell me where it would be ok or will i just have to take the risk :27:

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
you would need somewhere where you have permission, if it was me i would just camp there and keep a low profile, but try not to talk about this as bcuk does not support illegal things like this
leon

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Had a lovely time just what i needed :D

Cheers again paul, will stick a quick write up in the out n about bit :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE