First go at leather work .

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Here's the first attempt at leather work , a sheath I've made for one of my Frosts knives .
100_0912.JPG

100_0913.JPG

100_0914.JPG

It didn't turn out like I hoped but it taught me that I have a lot to learn about leather work .
Many thanks to those that have posted tutorials and pics !

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Thats fantastic mate, did you get the tutorial for theis of british blades, its great tutorial that one.

The BB tutorial was the main one I used but I looked at all the ones I could find and many pics of finished sheaths .
Leather work is all new to me so figuring out what to do at what stage of the process is trial and error and let's not talk about having to buy more tools .

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
The BB tutorial was the main one I used but I looked at all the ones I could find and many pics of finished sheaths .
Leather work is all new to me so figuring out what to do at what stage of the process is trial and error and let's not talk about having to buy more tools .
laughing here mate, i love leather work i find it very therapeutic and extremely rewarding, they have some fantastic tutorials on there, i have learnt an awful lot of there, and the people, are very kind and allways willing to help you if needed, the site is down at the mo, so i'm having withdrawal symptoms, there is another site which use allot and they are really really helpful its called leatherworker.net, i have found some great inspiration of there, keep at it, it becomes very addictive, i'm going to have a go at one of these soon, i also have just bought a book my Valerie Michael, which is great by the way, she even signed it for me, i'm going to have a go at some possible pouches, and some bags, the tutorials in there are very good, and easy to understand i would recommend this book, if you like that type of thing.
take care my friend
lee.

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Thanks for all the kind words, it was fun first project and it showed me stuff I didn't know about leather .
Since I have plenty of leather remaining , I guess I'll have to buy a couple of different Mora's and practice with different sheaths (I guess there is never an end to it) .

dwolfhunter

Jan 27, 2011
Virginia, USA
Technique looks right...meaning that I think , based on the end product, that you have a grasp of the mechanics. The rest is all about execution...and that requires practice. Good job for a first go.

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
I like it, looks like it has charcter.

I'm intending to have a crack at leatherwork myself in the near future, if my first attempt turns out half as good I'll be pleased.

Alex

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada
Technique looks right...meaning that I think , based on the end product, that you have a grasp of the mechanics. The rest is all about execution...and that requires practice. Good job for a first go.

Very nice work there Dan. Very much a stirling job from the look of it.

You are correct it is never ending as you are only limited by your imagination. It is also somewhat addictive as a hobby. Keep the good work up,

Leon.

Thanks , yes it is addictive and I've got a Frosts 860 ordered to practice on next .
Our library has several leather craft books so at the least some of the new hobby costs will be kept low (I hope) .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE