First Attempt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Derri

May 21, 2013
Lincoln - UK
Spent the afternoon yesterday in the local woods making my first debris shelter. It was good fun, it may not be pretty but its mine, LOL even made a little fire at the entrance. But nope did not spend the night in it, I know Im such a brave soldier not.
Debris Shelter - Start.jpg
Debris Shelter - Finish Back Picture.jpg
Debris Shelter - Inside.jpg

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Not bad for a first try.
Doesn't look like too many support sticks in the first pic but it does seem to hold all the leaves quite well. Did you test how waterproof it was? You normally have to have a fair thickness of leaves to get a good water and windproof cover, especially as theyre prone to blowing/sliding off in bad weather!

If the environment allows, next time try using ferns. They take less to get a good covering and are surprisingly waterproof if you flatten the leaves in to sheets and thatch with the stems pointing up. Just remember to wear gloves when picking ferns or you'll cut straight through your hands on the stems!

All in all not bad, perhaps if we get a last bit of summer appear again, you may be brave enough to try sleeping in it! You can always pack a tarp in case the ****!!

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Looks great! Looks similar to one I made here

I spent the night in mine, kept me nice and dry despite it raining for most of the night, you should try it out :)

Derri

May 21, 2013
Lincoln - UK
Hi Georan,

More support sticks were placed and we used fern leaves and then put over the leaves, cant say they were dry as it was raining heavily by the time I had finished, and yes I did sit in and it was waterproof, and I had a little fire going just near the entrance to warm my hands etc. Not sure about spending the night in the woods on my own, Im a coward LOL - maybe next summer when I grow up and get brave.

Thanks for the lovely comments, must admit I did enjoy making it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE