First attempt at spoon (not finished)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikergj

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2011
Oxford
Wanted to have a play with my new knife, so I thought I would give a spoon a go.

Also my wood i.d is not to good so any help with that would be good, that's if you can tell by the pics. One thing for sure is it is a tough old bit of wood, this took me nearly five hours ,so far,ha ha.

I dont think this spoon will be of any use if I finish it, but it is quite therapeutic doing it even if the final object is useless. :D

IMG_2080FirstSpoon.jpg

IMG_2082FirstSpoon.jpg

IMG_2083FirstSpoon.jpg

IMG_2084FirstSpoon.jpg

IMG_2087FirstSpoon-1.jpg

IMG_2088FirstSpoon.jpg

Thanks for looking
Mike

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Nowt wrong with that. Spoon sized, spoon shaped, I'd say its a spoon. Nicely done. Post a pic when it is finished so we can admire and say how much better than our first efforts it is.

mikergj

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2011
Oxford
you used electric tools?

O no I didnt, I used a hand saw at the beginning, If I used any electrical tools it would not have taken that long, thats for sure. And also would not of been so labor intensive. I am a carpenter by trade,do you really think I want to get my tools out when I am at home. If you zoom in you can quite clearly see its been whittled .

mikergj

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2011
Oxford
hahah i just meant on the original template like! not the whole spoon itself. how you going to do the bowl?

I have not a clue at the moment, I do not own a spoon chisel. But I am sure I read some where I could use the embers from a fire, or did I dream that.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
I have not a clue at the moment, I do not own a spoon chisel. But I am sure I read some where I could use the embers from a fire, or did I dream that.

the one thing i can never manage is the bowl so you are asking the wrong person.... however it has been said you can use embers yes....

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire

No - not a dream!
This technique is one I have used several times ...but these days I mainly use my spoon knives!
It is best used with very dry wood.
To start a bowl burning session I make a small hollow in the top of the area I want to char.
I then get a small glowing ember froom a fire (a bit of charcoal is a good substitute) and place it in the hollow.
Holding the ember in place with a twig/nail/ bit of scrap whatever I then gently blow on the ember (as half my face does not work and I cannot purse my lips I use a tube to blow through to give a controlled airflow - most folk should be OK just blowing but a tube helps focus where the ember glows most.
The ember will char the bowl for a while but will be consumed.
Remove the dead ember/ash and scrape the charred bit of the bowl away (a cheap spoons handle is ideal - blunt, curved and replaceable!) and you get the bowl forming.
As the hollow enlarges so can the size of the ember but beware of over charring the bowl and ending up with a mini-sieve!
If the bowl burns asymetrically then hold the ember where you want more material removed.
Have fun!

mikergj

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2011
Oxford
Glad you like my first attempt,even though its not finished. I think your right about the Ash birdbrain. I was in a pub last night and there was a pile of timber next to the fire, which I immediately recognized as the same piece my little spoon was being carved from. It was the bark that gave it away, so I asked some one in the pub and sure enough they said Ash.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE