First aid kit- cleaning wounds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Until very recently I had been labouring under the impression that I could use my hand cleaning gel to clean wounds, luckily chatting with one of the new members I was told not to do so, I thought id post up what he said so no-one makes the same mistake I possibly could have!!

"As a general rule of thumb, alcohol is not a good idea in wounds. It can react in different ways and some of them are not very nice!

Alcohol gel has various additives in it (things like moisturisers, perfumes, etc.) so these are really bad.

Water is great. Especially if you have lots of it, you can't really go wrong.

If you don't have water for some strange reason and absolutley most use alcohol then one of the 'purer' spirits is best - like whisky, but it should be avoided really (if nothing else it is a waste of good whisky!)

Hope this helps.

Alex"

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Wound cleaning works fine by using water treated with a puritab. Obviously not directly available, but for general wound management it's the best option in the field.

Your own urine, although not always sterile as claimed, is also a good option.

Alex UK

Feb 5, 2009
Devon
Although not my area, I'm sure some of the other members will be able to tell you which plants can be used too. Many have very good anti-bac or pain relief properties.

Alex

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Plain good old fashioned soap and water works extremely well, or water with a little salt added making it into a very good cleanser. If you have a collapsible bucket or bowl, some warm water and a little soap can shift the dirt from around the wound, but remember to wipe away from the wound and not towards it. The water / salt mixture commonly referred to as a saline solution is best for cleaning the wound itself and rinsing out dirt, grit, anything in the eye. Even better is to have the non alcohol wipes as these are sterile if the pack is unopened prior to use.

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
You can get hold of saline (salt+water) and sterile water sachets, these are ideal for wound cleaning. The sterile water can also be used for eye baths, and if you're really stuck, you can drink it ;)

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Although not my area, I'm sure some of the other members will be able to tell you which plants can be used too. Many have very good anti-bac or pain relief properties.

Alex

The good old spagnum moss is good for wound cleansing as it is very absorbant and can be used like a sponge, plus it has slight antiseptic qualities, but always collect it from well away from the base of trees as many animals use trees for territory marking. It also works well as a wound dressing with perhaps a towel wrapped over it and then tied or pinned with whatever is at hand to secure it in place.

11b inf

Jan 8, 2008
phx. az
for most non-puncture/non-burn wounds plain old soap and clean water is the way to go,then you can add your topical antisepic if you wish.... vince g. 1b inf

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I have a pack of Boots antisceptic wipes in my first aid kit.
Although if it was a real bleeder I think my automatic reaction would be to flush with water.

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
Boil water (to sterilise it) let it cool, dissolve salt into it (to form a saline solution) it has to be the easiest first aid solution in the field and I have always been advised to use this by Doctors and Vets alike, I have recently used it on the kids eyes for conjunctivitis and on abscesses on my pets

Dec 16, 2007
Plus alcohol gel in an open wound will sting like f*&k. I know as I have done it a few times after slight cuts to hand then was then decon hands with gel it goes in and stings. If you have a white alcohol with you ie vodka or stuff like that then that can be used diluted.

But nothing beats water and soap and /or saline solution.
Thats from a medical man.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Alex

I use the the juice from inside a the stem of any member of the dock family. The inside of plants is pretty sterile, well it is a lot more sterile than the outside. The juice has a enough astringents to close most light wounds. I take one good size leaf and stem, and starting at the tip of the leaf roll it down until the end . The juice forms a drip at the end the stem where it can be dripped into the wound without the plant touching it. I find I far fewer wounds going gooey with this method than using none at all. Please be positive of ID, you don't want to be using foxglove.

There are some pretty horrid pathogens living on the surface of plants, so care is required when using fresh plants to treat wounds.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I have soap in my kit for this type of thing. Not so much for cleaning the wound as stopping me putting more dirt into it.
Is it true that bleeding itself can flush a cut clean?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE