Firesteel Pimping Competition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Right, lots of us have posted our efforts on the "pimp my firesteel" thread (Pimp my firesteel )

Given Grahams very kind offer of a prize, lets have a fun competition

pimppouch.JPG

Closing date for entrants is the end of July (23:59 on 31/07/06). Each entry must be a single photograph showing the firesteel in question. The firesteel must have a custom or adapted handle and be the work of the entrant (any other form of customisation are fine - cases etc. but all the work must be done by the entrant).

The winner will be decided by a BCUK poll lasting 1 week. Since polls are limited to 10 entrants, if we have more than 10 entrants, we'll get a guest celebrity (or failing that Tony ) to pick a shortlist of 10. We'll put the list of 10 to a poll and the winner gets Grahams pouch! If anyone else want to volunteer a prize, we'll put together a "prize pack" for the winner.

Multiple entries are fine, but each entry must be a different firesteel

Only entries made on this thread will count to the competition, so if you want to enter one from the older thread, post it again on this one ;)

Best of luck

Red

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Good luck everyone! - now get posting those piccies:D

Just for fun - (as why would I want to win my own pouch:lmao: ) - here's my 'pimpiest pimp'

fspimp1.JPG

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
OK Guys, here we go with a bit of a story

Once upon a time, many years ago, I had way too much time on my hands with a lump of alluminium and a few files. The result was a figure-head for the front of a motorbike and the inspiration for its younger sibling in brass, which is my entry to the competition, the larger older one is just a temporary measure to provide the overall effect.

ATB

Ogri the trog

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ogri the trog said:
OK Guys, here we go with a bit of a story

Once upon a time, many years ago, I had way too much time on my hands with a lump of alluminium and a few files. The result was a figure-head for the front of a motorbike and the inspiration for its younger sibling in brass. Which is my entry to the competition, the larger older one is just a temporary measure to provide the overall effect.

ATB

Ogri the trog

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Red

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'm a bit reluctant to post mine given the formidable competition, but here it is anyway. Zebrawood with a copper lanyard tube. It's all pushed together, so hopefully the firesteel could be replaced if needs be.

firesteel.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats lovely skanker - nothing to be reluctant about!

Does the steel not come out when struck given it isnt glued? or does the "downward" pressure hold it in?

Red

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
British Red said:
Thats lovely skanker - nothing to be reluctant about!

Does the steel not come out when struck given it isnt glued? or does the "downward" pressure hold it in?

Red

Well TBH Red, I haven't tried it as I didn't want to scratch it for the photo! :D I pushed the tube in with a vice and hammered in the firesteel So they were both a good fit.

If it falls apart the first time I use it, you'll be the first to know! (by PM) :) No if it is weak, I'll glue it.

The zebrawood is 1/4 of a pen blank from Axminster (51p iirc). I bought a few different woods at the same time - they've a good selection. I halved a couple with a mate, so if anyone want the other 1/4 for a firesteel of their own drop me a PM. No charge - on the condition you post the finished article in here. And it's not better than mine.

[The spare piece of zebrawood has now been taken.]

Reactions: g4ghb

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
Doh!

Forgot about this as I couldnt find the material I had earmarked for the handle, will have a forage again tonight as I now cant remember where ive put the rods either :rolleyes:

Rgds

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE