fire steel and knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kai055

Forager
Dec 29, 2006
Hornchurch
i have just got a fireball fire steel and forest clipper knife and i thought that the knife would work with the firesteel,

Can anyone tell why is not cos all that happens is the back of the knife is taken a thin layer off the knife? or is it just better to the bit of hacksaw sort of stuff that come with it cos so far i have been lighting tiusse paper and shavings of basla wood in one go? :slap:

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
the back of your clipper may not be square, just file the back untill you have a good set of square shoulders on the knife
leon

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
is it a stainless clipper? Carbon ones are best but the stainless should still work ok. Also, when I got my clipper I had to take a file to the spine of the blade to square it off, mine had a slightly rounded spine. You will only get sparks from a steel if it has a sharp edge, preferably 90 degrees. :)

kai055

Forager
Dec 29, 2006
Hornchurch
it isnt a stainless clipper just a high carbon steel and the knife is very new today so it is very square , any other things that could cause problems?

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
The angle of your knife relative to the firesteel? Personally, I don't like using the spine of my Clipper for that purpose. It's too sharp and it worries me. You might try using the can opener tool from a SAK. It works wonders.

Adam

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
first off when your clipper came to you the spine was rounded so you will need to do that and secondly it doesnt matter if your knife is stainless or carbon, it will still produce good sparks because it is harder than the fire steel
leon

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
addyb said:
The angle of your knife relative to the firesteel? Personally, I don't like using the spine of my Clipper for that purpose. It's too sharp and it worries me. You might try using the can opener tool from a SAK. It works wonders.

Adam
the awl on my sak throws crazt sparks from a firesteel, much better than my clipper
leon

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
just because the knife is new, doesnt mean the spine is square. I had to square of my one. You may be holding it at the wrong angle, trail and error I'm afraid...

I use the little blade that comes on the fire steel, I find it much easier to use :morpheus:

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
My new clipper came with a rounded spine aswell, fairly common I would think! Another thing, have you scraped off the black coating on the ferro rod in order to get to the shiny stuff underneath? ;)

B

bushyboo

it sounds like you need to file your knife if its working with the bit that comes with it
i think nearly everybody files their clipper when they first get it coz they useualy are rounded

Wettstuff

Tenderfoot
Oct 14, 2005
Ascot
Even though your knife is brand new the spine wont be as square as you think it will due to machining. a couple of minutes on the edge of your sharpening stone will true it up or as leon said a file. I did this to mine and the sparks and amazingly concentrated now.

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE