Fire pit pork

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

paulgosker

Jul 18, 2006
Ireland
Hi all,
Im new to these boards and thought I would post some of the things I have gotten up to, not very advanced stuff but a sharing of my (limited) experience. Maybe it will give someone an idea :)

I got it in my head to build a fire pit out my back garden and cook a joint of pork on it. Thought it would taste better than it done in the oven (and I wasnt wrong!)

I dug the two holes, the first being where the fire would be, was around a foot wide and the same deep.

The second, where fuel would be fed from, was somewhat smaller and angled to create an underground tunnel into the first hole.

Heres the pork before cooking

It had been raining that day so the wood was wet, I split some rotten stump I found lying around and got the fire going with firesteel. The nest was made from the bark of mature ivy, it comes off really easy in your hands and its dry as hell.

I used ash for the fire as there is alot of it growing next to where i live.

So then i realised my mistake. The pork was stuffed and so the string wrapping it gave way and it started to open. The stuffing started to come out so I removed it all and flattened out the pork, oh well :lmao:

Anyway, heres the end result. Got a wee bit well done on one side but you live and learn.

I ate it with some corn and baked potatoes (also done in the fire). I didnt take any pics of that because I forgot (and was hungry).

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Interesting, Paul.

I ,for one, think that anything cooked outdoors, somehow tastes better.
(thinking of Barbys).

Looked like a massive lump of meat, I expect you yomped the lot, to give you the energy to put your garden back to rights? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Ceeg

paulgosker

Jul 18, 2006
Ireland
:lmao:

Yeah, muched the whole thing down. Suprised I could cuz I am not a huge guy, but it just tasted SO damn good ! and you are right about anything being cooked outdoors tasting better

The garden now looks nornal again :)

Jason, I'll invite you when I get a whole hog and spit going :D

PS. Girlfriend wasnt impressed :rolleyes:

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
paulgosker said:
:lmao:

Yeah, muched the whole thing down. Suprised I could cuz I am not a huge guy, but it just tasted SO damn good ! and you are right about anything being cooked outdoors tasting better

The garden now looks nornal again :)

Jason, I'll invite you when I get a whole hog and spit going :D

PS. Girlfriend wasnt impressed :rolleyes:
I am there :lmao:

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
That's great, Paul! I love it. It beats a barbecue for simplicity, and for using local wood instead of charcoal from a clear-cut rainforest.

I had it in mind from the thread title that you were going to bury some meat with hot stones and cook it that way. My friend and I once did that on a beach and it worked a treat, but I don't know about in your garden!

paulgosker

Jul 18, 2006
Ireland
Philaw, Yeah mate its simple as hell. Always wanted to try cooking something the way you describe it, for some reason i never got around to it. I'll give it a shot after my next ash bow (hopefully i wont mess it up this time) :lmao:

Thanks for the replies lads

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
We used bricks instead of stones when we did it and it worked a treat. The Hawaiian version that we had the recipe for used tarrow leaves, and we substituted massive banana leaves. What would people use here? Even big chestnut and maple leaves would need to be used in large numbers. Dock leaves would be good for size, but I doubt if they'd be good for your food. Any ideas, people?

You can use silver foil or newspaper to wrap things up in the winter when there are no leaves about.

Might try burdock, it's big and eddible.

There are no big stones where I am so I use two 10k dumbells, works a treat.

That pork sounds nice but I can't see the pictures :(

How was the skin?

paulgosker

Jul 18, 2006
Ireland
Yeah, the skin was nice and crispy (a little too much for my taste) and it tasted gorgeous! I will be doing it again, so next time i do, i will post pics of the whole escapade :)

Pics were taken with my phone, technology these days! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE